Grinder question.

Guindesigns

So I just received an email that I can buy an conversation kit for my Classic Kmg to make it a double tooling arm. What are some of the benefits I can get with converting it?

The first thing that come to my mind is it would allow for a much better work rest then the standard KMG. I have one of the KMG articulating work rests....and feel it's the best work rest currently available. Since purchasing a KMG TX a while back, my trusty standard KMG does mostly profile work, with a 10" wheel and the articulating work rest.

Hey Ed.
Since you have that articulated rest I would like to ask you a question please.
What is the steepest angle you can adjust it to relative to the platen/or wheel tool arm? Will the rest’s pivot hit the wheel or platen at maximum tilt?
Thanks in advance.
Scott

Guindesigns - using a tool arm slot allows for using an adjustable rest that can be angle and height adjusted for use with small wheels, jigs and whatever your imagination can pull up. I don’t think I would want to do without mine.!
Of course many things can be done without one, but, if you can afford it - go for it.
Scott

Good morning Ed, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have seen that, but, nothing seemed to answer or show what I am asking. Thought I'd ask someone who has one.

I have a similar work rest and when I tilt to the maximum angle, the area where the actual table pivots ,underneath, hits the contact wheel or platen.
The pivot is in direct line with those and so when I close up the gap, bringing the table close, the pivot hits the belt and limits the gap to being quite large.
I hope that made sense. ?

I don't have a KMG, but the basic work table on my TW-90 has the same problem if I'm understanding you, Scott.
The pivot under the table hits the platen or wheel if you tilt the table too far up.
You can make yourself a larger work rest and clamp it to the basic rest but move it up farther. This allows you to get a steeper angle.
I use that for grinding swedges.
Travis Wuertz calls these doubler plates.
Here is a short video where he demonstrates them.
Should be an easy fix for that problem.

Hi Owl.
I have an “extension “ plate and although it is large and with a deep two inch wide slot, it just doesn’t do it. Plus, the added plate seems to exasperate a leveling challenge. I own a Pheer grinder, like it pretty good, no real complaints. But, having seen Travis’ doubler plates I was trying to emulate it on my grinder.
One day I would like to try a Tw90. Thanks.

I didn’t know that was a thing.
You can make a surface grinder attachment with another socket.

Back