Gibeon Meteorite Dagger - Collaberative WIP

Here is the sketch I sent to Fred and Ken. We'll see what they have to say. They both will have the option to make any changes or refinements they see fit.
mbd001.jpg

We have come up with an agreement on the design for the overall knife. Using the blade shape by Del we sketched a few ideas that went back and forth between Fred, Ken and myself.
The main goal was to keep any component of the design from overpowering or competing with the meteorite blade. We wanted to keep it fairly conservative with out looking plain as well as provide a good pallet for Ken's engraving.

The sketch is a crude scribble but gives a better idea what will be the final outcome.

fred.jpg

Personally, I liked the original idea of including some sort of guard.

Fred Rowe is working on the fittings and handle for the dagger. He just sent these photos so we can all see how the dagger is progressing.

wip+001.jpg

wip+002.jpg

wip+003.jpg

wip+005.jpg

It's looking real good. I think the bronze and redwood are going to look real nice together.

Here is the latest from Fred Rowe

The silicon bronze is nice to work. It cuts and files easily.

In all knives but especially in building a dagger, everything needs to be centered and symmetric or the result is only to obvious.
I have to keep in mind that there will be an engraver following what I do.
I believe the bronze will end up two tone black and gold to make the engraving stand out.

Have a nice holiday all, Fred

metorite+dagger+002.jpg

metorite+dagger+003.jpg

metorite+dagger+005.jpg

I worked on the finish shaping of the bronze piece that gets inlayed into the butt.
Milled the slot for the inlay on the little Shureline mill. If you want it seamless, spend a lot of time laying it out.
I like seamless, it looks good.
Finished the bronze piece and have it ready to epoxy. It will also get pinned with a 1/8th inch silicon bronze pin. There will be two maybe three pins down the center.

I made a couple of passes on an 80 grit belt so I could get a look at the redwood. Its a beautiful piece of burl you sent me, Mark.

Tomorrow is thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday of the year.
Enjoy your day with friends and family.

Fred

metorite+dagger+009.jpg

metorite+dagger+010.jpg

metorite+dagger+007.jpg

metorite+dagger+013.jpg
metorite+dagger+018.jpg

I had a couple of hours on Friday to work on Mark's dagger.

Pinned the bolster to the handle and thinned the whole handle down a bit.

The redwood burl with the ribbon edges is starting to show its stuff.

Its sanded to 120 with a coat of wax to show the character.

This is the fun part; when you get to see the results of your work.

I should have it finished by next weekend.

Have a good one, Fred

metorite+dagger+020.jpg

metorite+dagger+024.jpg

Fred is doing a fantastic job. WOW!
Way better than I could have hoped for.

When Delbert shaped and etched the meteorite for the blade I was amazed!
What Fred is doing has me awestruck! The bronze he is using looks a lot like gold to me.
This is going to be quite the dagger when it's all done!

Thank you Delbert and Fred.

It's getting hard to remember it all started out with this.
gm.jpg

Last edited:
So..., to be clear..., this material was not heat treated and thus, is not suitable for a working knife--correct?

Sure is pretty though!

I got most of the finish work done today. The blade was etched to bring out the contrast and the silicon bronze was taken to high luster. Its as close to gold as it can be. Should make a beautiful background for the engraver.
Sorry about the poor picture; it was late in the shop.

metorite+dagger+032.jpg

So..., to be clear..., this material was not heat treated and thus, is not suitable for a working knife--correct?

Sure is pretty though!

I had a choice. Heat treat and destroy the pattern. Would have given me a usable knife that looked like normal steel.

Or..... not heat treat and have a really bizarre looking dagger unlike any other. Sure it will get dull if I stab a bunch of people. (sometimes a temptation)

All kidding aside, I thought of this dagger becoming more a unique work of art than a tool. I have really been lucky to be able to have people like Delbert and Fred working to make this weird dream a reality.

Fred finished his portion of the project. Now it's on it's way to Ken Hurst for his engraving. After that Coop has agreed to do the photography.

Fred sent these pictures before the knife went in the mail to Ken. What do you guys think of it so far?

collagemeteoritedagger.jpg

I hope you're making a nice stand and glass case for it! That thing looks nice!

I am waiting for it to come back from Ken Hurst before I decide how to display the dagger. Ken is engraving it with a shooting star and planets and silver inlays. I cant' wait to see how that looks. Everything I have seen by Ken looks fantastic.

Back