Forging hammer source?

Kev

I am in the market for a good rounding hammer. I’ve been bitten by the forging bug and it’s not going away.
If anyone has a spare they’d let go for a good price I’d be willing to help you part with it.
If not where/whom would you buy a new one?
I have a half dozen hammers that I have tried to make work by dressing the heads and so forth, but I can tell I’m missing out on something. I’m new to the forge game, but I am doing everything in my power to develop the craft with some intention and this is one spot that I can tell taking the harbor freight and make it work approach isn’t going to cut it.
Thanks

some of my best hammers are vintage ball peen hammers that i sourced at yard sales....antique stores.....flea markets etc....some of the old heads were really great quality........i have modified several for drawing hammers etc with excellent results....some of the old ones were up to 4 lbs and made with excellent materials......the bonus is that you rarely have to pay more than $25 fo an excellent hammer

I have always wanted to make a hammer with a rounded face (rounding hammer) but instead of a second flat face I want a straight peen. Maybe it is time I get started on R and D. I will vouch for this company as well I have bought many items from them and their prices and shipping are fair. My rule is Boss Dawg first and if he don't have it Blacksmith's Depot next. https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/products/hammers.html

Check out Brent Bailey! I have 2 of his cross pien hammers there very nice! Long wait time though if you decide to order though!

Back