First knives

Moe56

I was just curious as what you guys that have been forging knives for while, what do you think the first 5-6 different knives are that new knife makers make!

2. As experienced makers, what do you think that list should be? IE: what knives or even projects teach the most?

The advice that always stuck with me is this.
Start with a full tang design around 7.5 -8”.
Focus on fit and finish until its the absolute best you can achieve for a three piece knife.
(Liners can be included)
Focus on
clean even grinds
Plunge lines
Pin placement
Clean Ricasso
Overall knife proportions
Blade and scale finish.

A three piece knife is not difficult but a well made three piece knife tells the tale.

The advice that always stuck with me is this.
Start with a full tang design around 7.5 -8”.
Focus on fit and finish until its the absolute best you can achieve for a three piece knife.
(Liners can be included)
Focus on
clean even grinds
Plunge lines
Pin placement
Clean Ricasso
Overall knife proportions
Blade and scale finish.

A three piece knife is not difficult but a well made three piece knife tells the tale.
Agreed. I would add that a drop point design is probably the easiest design to make. At least it has been for me.

Just remember, if you think that the knife is good enough, it's not. You may not be able to correct it on that knife but try to correct it on the next one. Also, just because the knife is a little off doesn't mean it's not usable. Use the heck out of it, possibly to destruction, and see what you would change. Another thing, most of us starting thought that our first knife or to was a piece of crap. Learn from it and keep going.

Doug

Agreed with all above. Get on youtube and watch the how to's. Then look at the finished products of the different makers for what a properly shaped handle looks like, blade bevels, and how "tight" all the pieces need to fit together and be uniform.

A good maker will assemble, disassemble, sand something a little more to fit better, etc. Or toss an accent or whatever if it isn't up to spec

Oh and watch out for the "blade scratch gremlin". Your blade won't have a single scratch, you'll put it down and one will appear. Learn to love the blue tape.....

Back