First forged knife completed

Kev

I took a bit of trial and error, but I got my first forged knife completed. I’ve been in love with integral bolster knives from the day I started. It’s not perfect and I left it rough intentionally. Still a ways to go, but it’ll come.

A755172F-8EB4-4F79-B1DE-D0D2E9C09DC7.jpegB5FDCB5C-F85D-45A0-8B87-F528DF02AC8B.jpeg

I like how you have the handle scales fit to the bolster using a radius instead of flat or dovetailed. Don’t see that often, although I think it was T. Dowell that did just that on a lot of his knives.

Wait, this is the first knife you forged or the first forged knife you completed? Choosing to do an integral bolster on a first attempt is pretty gutsy. If you had any level of success you should be proud. Isolating steel for things such as integral bolsters and forging the rest without messing the isolated steel up is not a beginner skill. Well done either way.

Wait, this is the first knife you forged or the first forged knife you completed? Choosing to do an integral bolster on a first attempt is pretty gutsy. If you had any level of success you should be proud. Isolating steel for things such as integral bolsters and forging the rest without messing the isolated steel up is not a beginner skill. Well done either way.
Second forged knife, first one completed. The other one is coming along.
Integral bolster knives have been on my to-do list from the beginning. I just love the look.

I like how you have the handle scales fit to the bolster using a radius instead of flat or dovetailed. Don’t see that often, although I think it was T. Dowell that did just that on a lot of his knives.
Thanks, I love that look. I can honestly say I thought that was the easy route vs flat or dovetails.
I’m not completely satisfied, but good enough for a shop knife.

Back