Finger hole

JeremyBartlett

Hey guys hope life is treating you well. I have a customer that wants a slightly larger version of a frost cutlery cat Skinner. Pic posted below. I'm trying to put a 1 inch hole in some aeb-l for the finger hole. Been trying to use a lennox 1 inch bi-metal hole saw in my drill press and not having much luck. Anyone else ever done this? If so what method did you use? I know I can take my largest drill bit...make a hole and hand file the rest, but looking for an easier method.

5928.jpeg

If you have a mill, I'd suggest a 4 flute, 1" end mill.

Just a thought.....be careful about designs from production outfits! Sometimes you can get away with copying a design, and other times they will come after you if they find out. I only mention that because just a couple of months ago, a former student of mine copied a major production knife company's design......plastered it all over social media, and got slapped with a big dollar law suit from them. Last I heard he is trying to settle with them, but they aren't budging. Seems to getting more and more common these days.

I've had waaay better results cutting larger holes with these carbide tip hole saws. They go by different names, but generally do much better than the old style hole saws! There's a also a style called an annular cutter that is great.
1521080037819.png

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to try a carbide tipped hole saw first since I can get that locally. Ed, I thought about what you said, I'm sure my design of the knife will be different than the frost design and I shouldn't have to worry about it. Plus I'm selling to a guy I have known for a long time and probably won't be posting pictures on social media. I'm making him a set, both knives in one sheath and both with amber stag handles. Hopefully these turn out as nice as I plan :)

Back