Finding blades with high end steel

Amuzed

Folks,
I am new to the forum and just starting to make knives. I was searching for HT blades to use and cannot find any that use high end steel, such as CPM-S30V. I did find a Birsa blade made of 80CrV2. Does anyone know of places to purchase high quality blades?
Thanks, Amuzed

I'm not quite sure what you mean by high end steel. CMP-S30V is indeed a high end steel but it has it's faults, like being more brittle than the more simple alloys. 80CrV2 is also a good simpler steel that is less brittle but also less hard. Don't forget the heat treatment has a lot to do with the quality of the blades. If you are finding blades from something like 1095 they will be perfectly fine as long as they are well heat treated.

Doug

Some depends on what part of the world you're in. The Boss has several knife blades, some of which are decent steel.

Jantz has their Jantz pattern blades; many are in D2, some S30V, some CPM154. USAknifemaker has some stuff in nice steels, too. Brisa has some in Elmax.

Amuzed, where are you located? Some knifemakers on here may be willing to sell you a few ground blanks, too?

Since you folks gave good advice, here's my first Knife:

Blade: BRISA Leuku 180; 80CrV2; Scandi Grind; 180 mm length;
Handle: Oregon Elk Antler
Guard: Brass 360-H02 (0.1875”), with Bubinga spacer
Pommel: Brass 360-H02 (0.1875”), with Bubinga spacer

Attachments

• Knife one-1.jpg
    Knife one-1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Knife one-3.jpg
    Knife one-3.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 16