Finally happened!!

Gliden07

So I was working on my friends Bador shaping the Mini Hawk after forging it from an old open end wrench I, picked up from a yard sale. I'm zipping away and all of a sudden the belt starts to make a strange noise I never heard before? My Spidy sense said something wasn't right I pull my head to the left and I get smacked in the right shoulder with the belt at high speed! Scared the you know what out of me!! Had safety glasses and a shield on. My friends and I joke about it a bit and I mount a new 40G belt up 2 minutes worth of grinding and BANG!! Another belt snaps this one didnt touch me but still scared me. First and second time I had a belt snap on me!! Anyway I figured the knife Gods were trying to tell me something!! DONE FOR THE DAY!!

So I was working on my friends Bador shaping the Mini Hawk after forging it from an old open end wrench I, picked up from a yard sale. I'm zipping away and all of a sudden the belt starts to make a strange noise I never heard before? My Spidy sense said something wasn't right I pull my head to the left and I get smacked in the right shoulder with the belt at high speed! Scared the you know what out of me!! Had safety glasses and a shield on. My friends and I joke about it a bit and I mount a new 40G belt up 2 minutes worth of grinding and BANG!! Another belt snaps this one didnt touch me but still scared me. First and second time I had a belt snap on me!! Anyway I figured the knife Gods were trying to tell me something!! DONE FOR THE DAY!!
Wow! Glad you were not injured. I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting a broken belt!
What speed were you running the belts. I typically run my grinder on the slowest pulley speed since I don’t have a variable speed.

Wow! Glad you were not injured. I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting a broken belt!
What speed were you running the belts. I typically run my grinder on the slowest pulley speed since I don’t have a variable speed.

His Bador is one speed. 3450RPM with a 5" drive has to be over 4K SFPM? Guessing on this. Sure there's a formula? Belt was flying though!!

I can see changing from a wheel to a platen having to much tension on the belt. I know this!!!! lol,,,,,,
Even just having the tension to tight.

Last edited:
The only belt I have had go on me was a 36 grit. I now dont use best coarser than the 60 grit and havent had one go since then. Dont know if the coarser grit belts are more prone to letting go but ----------

Anytime you hear that sound change, jump back and if it hasn't blown you can kill the machine from the side!! That sound change is the tell tale signs of a belt about to break or something is going wrong with the grinder.
I had a 36 grit start to make noise. I stopped pulled the belt, looked it all over and could not see where the belt seemed to be bad. I put it back on and tracked the belt and settled in to start grinding again and as I touched the knife to the belt it exploded.
Now I swear I looked that belt over well but I had been hogging with it the first time I heard the noise and I really believe that was what caused the failure!! Now if I hear one I just take the belt off and use for hand sanding and shaping handles!! It will scare the bejesus, out of you!!

be·je·sus
[bəˈjēzəs]

EXCLAMATION
IRISH
informal

1. an exclamation traditionally attributed to the Irish, used to express surprise or for emphasis.
    "they were forty minutes late, cocky as bejesus"

Back