Dying with Potasium Permanganate?

Dave Broughton

A few years back I was on another knife forum and I received a bunch of info on making knives from a guy up north, I think he was located in Wis. He worked for a major knife making company and he claimed to make around 3,000 knives a year. Anyway, he told me that all knife makers dyed their antler handles with Potasium Permanganate. I, being unknowledgable on this kinda questioned him on it and he came back with "Dave, listen to me.....all antler handles are dyed. I've been using the stuff ever since with excellent results......Are there any alternatives to this chemical?

I like the amber dyed stag that Bruce Bump uses sometimes.
I think he get's it dyed by Culpepper.

Come to think on it.....I have used the leather dye on the mountainman knives I make.....I like the dark color fading into a yellowish hue that makes the handle look old and tarnished.....I haven't done it but I have seen where they burn the handle with a torch to give it a special look.

Dave,

I use that stuff all the time. Wade here on the forum is a master of it. You let the material soak in it, wipe it off, and repeat till you get the effect you want. Then wax and polish. I also use leather dyes. Some times I selectively dye some areas and then soak. That gives me light and dark areas. Just another tool in the box. Works on bone and leather too.

Be care not to get this on anything you do not want to color.

Dave,

I use that stuff all the time. Wade here on the forum is a master of it. You let the material soak in it, wipe it off, and repeat till you get the effect you want. Then wax and polish. I also use leather dyes. Some times I selectively dye some areas and then soak. That gives me light and dark areas. Just another tool in the box. Works on bone and leather too.

Be care not to get this on anything you do not want to color.

When I get an order of antler handles, I get out my darkened trusty bucket, put suffiicent water and the powder (potassium permanganate) in it and dump my antlers into the solution. I leave the handles in the bucket for a few hours and then remove them. I lay them out where they can dry and then dump them into my supply box. So for, I've had good results.....

all imported stag or antler from Pakistan or India is soaked in a mix of Potassium Permanganate to kill any parasites, disease, etc.
PP is a strong, caustic oxidizer and should be treated with respect. Oxidizers feed explosions or create burns.
The dark brown, dark red or even black surface color you see on imported stag is the result of soaking in PP. Stag antler is normally bleached out white, much like north American whitetail or moose antler.

PP is commonly used in water softeners and can be purchased in crystal form at most Sears stores or from a water softener company. You don't need much.

Mix up some (no good guidelines here - sorry. start with a few tablespoons in a quart of water) put in the antler and let it soak for a few minutes. Check it. At first it will be purple and then with more time, it will start turning red, brown and finally black when it has soaked too long. Leave it in over night and you end up with a dissolved pile goo in the bottom of your (plastic or glass) soak tub. Been there.

Wear heavy plastic glove. Any, ANY splashed on you will stain your skin and possibly burn you. Not right away but it builds up with an itch, then gets hot. You will not need to be told. It will get your attention. It will ruin clothes. It will throw off nasty, probably toxic odors.

With all of that baggage, it is still the most common way to die/stain antler.

Amber dying by Culpepper is a different, good process and tends to die deeply into bone or antler. Culpepper won't say how their process works as it is a proprietary secret.

all imported stag or antler from Pakistan or India is soaked in a mix of Potassium Permanganate to kill any parasites, disease, etc.
PP is a strong, caustic oxidizer and should be treated with respect. Oxidizers feed explosions or create burns.
The dark brown, dark red or even black surface color you see on imported stag is the result of soaking in PP. Stag antler is normally bleached out white, much like north American whitetail or moose antler.

PP is commonly used in water softeners and can be purchased in crystal form at most Sears stores or from a water softener company. You don't need much.

Mix up some (no good guidelines here - sorry. start with a few tablespoons in a quart of water) put in the antler and let it soak for a few minutes. Check it. At first it will be purple and then with more time, it will start turning red, brown and finally black when it has soaked too long. Leave it in over night and you end up with a dissolved pile goo in the bottom of your (plastic or glass) soak tub. Been there.

Wear heavy plastic glove. Any, ANY splashed on you will stain your skin and possibly burn you. Not right away but it builds up with an itch, then gets hot. You will not need to be told. It will get your attention. It will ruin clothes. It will throw off nasty, probably toxic odors.

With all of that baggage, it is still the most common way to die/stain antler.

Amber dying by Culpepper is a different, good process and tends to die deeply into bone or antler. Culpepper won't say how their process works as it is a proprietary secret.

I do handle mine with non-penetrating gloves and I do take precautions to the limit.......this stuff will burn right thu most anything it touches. I'm not sure I would like the Culpepper dying if it penetrates too deeply. I
like the white to come to the surface when sanding. Is that a problem?

Back