Does anyone have experience using a dry downdraft table for grinding dust and sparks?

ome

Hi Guys,
Still looking fir the best setup for my soon to arrive belt grinder 2 by 72".
I have seen videos of diversitech mini DD SYSTEM, but it won't fit thru the basement door 26".
Unit is 30"deep.
But I would like to find someone who has actually placed their grinder locked to the too grid and grind away. Suppose to pull from 12" above table.
I know It is way overkill, but I like it.
Jon

Last edited:
Hi Ome,

I too have a grinder coming and am thinking through grit containment. I decided that shop vacs and cardboard ducting will be for my first go 'round. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I end up not liking. So, I can tweak cardboard till I like it and then redo it in plastic or something. I thought maybe using thin kydex as it's easy to shape if you need some contour to it.

If you are sold on the DD system can you disassemble/reassemble to get it into the basement?

Hi Ome,

I too have a grinder coming and am thinking through grit containment. I decided that shop vacs and cardboard ducting will be for my first go 'round. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I end up not liking. So, I can tweak cardboard till I like it and then redo it in plastic or something. I thought maybe using thin kydex as it's easy to shape if you need some contour to it.

If you are sold on the DD system can you disassemble/reassemble to get it into the basement?

Hi,
No, it is a welded table, only the top grids and upper guards can be removed.
I found one that is 26" wide, but heavier, and 2,000. More. Does not have ability to grind explosive metals like aluminum.
But has a self cleaning filter system.
I tried shop vacs, but The fine dust comes out the exhaust.
So, I either need to get a hepa shop vac or send the exhaust out the basement window and into a bucket with a small amount of water to keep the dust from flying around.
I tested my canister vac with corn starch and powderd creamer.
They both made it thru the exhaust and into the air. I got a new eureka canister va. With hepa at exhaust, and nothing got thru. At amazon for 79.99 free shipping sometimes.
This was just a test, and is to small for my big grinder on order, but is fine for my HF 1 by 30 grinder, it has a small dust port that nees a. Coupler to connect the hArd hose.
Let me know how you Re making out, we could trade notes Nd learn from each others success or failure.
I am Lso getting a Dylos particulate counter to test how well the dust systems are working.
Dylos is 200 - 289
Thanks,
Jon

good thinking on the testing. I am going to put my shop vacs outside the rollup door. Less noise and should help with the finer particulate. The biggest concern is the stuff that may not make it to the suction. I plan on wearing a respirator when grinding. I've done too many years of toolgrinding hero style and can't tolerate too much metal dust anymore. I think it must build up in your system or something.

Jon.
Thanks for becoming a "friend". I've played with this for years and still believe the best is to go outside with the dust if at all possible. Yes, this will mean an air supply of some sort. In a shop that I put this type of thing in use , I had a manual adjustable louvered vent. Frank

Hi Frank,
I am definitely taking the dust out the basement window , but want the hose to go into a metal can with some water, but not sure how to do this without letting any of the dust out of the can.
Also, my shop vac is a 12 amp version with lots of power and I am just not sure how the forced air with dust will end up in the bucket and not blow the dust and the water all over the outside , or do I need another tube coming out of that bucket going into another bucket that's outside the window?
Hope that was clear.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon,
A separate water Cyclone that is before your Vacuum should liquify your grindings. As others haves said outside or at least having the vac outside would be best. i know from personal experience that all of the noise from a grinder, a cyclone a vac etc in a small space can be deafening even with ear phones.

Personally after having a fire in a cheap vac after grinding wood, then steel, :w00t::w00t::w00t: since you are in a basement with your home on top, I would do the 5 gallon bucket of water under the spark steam, and just contain and sweep and vac out the dust after you are done grinding for the day while wearing a respirator, turn a air filtering system on a timer on and then strip down to the bone , leaving your work clothes in the basement to go directly to your shower is the way to keep the little woman happy and not burn down the house.

Hi Laurence,
Thanks for chiming in. I agree that the shop vac is very loud. The basement has 4 sections and 4 windows.
I could put the shop vac outside, but it has an exhaust with a hose connector, so would I put that hose from exhaust in a garbage pale , this is my wife's suggestion to prevent any dust from escaping outside on to the landscape
I wish we had room for a shower in the basement, but our closest for me is the secound floor.
Don't think my wife's girlfriends need to see me running up the stairs, naked. .
Jon

Jon.
You should perhaps go to that other forum and check in there. There was some good air flow information given . Frank

Frank,
Thank you for accepting my "friend request".
I appreciate the wise teachings and advice that comes from direct experience over time.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon,
A separate water Cyclone that is before your Vacuum should liquify your grindings. As others haves said outside or at least having the vac outside would be best. i know from personal experience that all of the noise from a grinder, a cyclone a vac etc in a small space can be deafening even with ear phones.

Personally after having a fire in a cheap vac after grinding wood, then steel, :w00t::w00t::w00t: since you are in a basement with your home on top, I would do the 5 gallon bucket of water under the spark steam, and just contain and sweep and vac out the dust after you are done grinding for the day while wearing a respirator, turn a air filtering system on a timer on and then strip down to the bone , leaving your work clothes in the basement to go directly to your shower is the way to keep the little woman happy and not burn down the house.
Laurence,
What do you mean by a separate water cyclone?i am ordering one metal dust deputy cyclone, are you suggesting I get two separate dust deputys , one dry and one wet?
Thanks,
Jon

It been a while since i researched this, Dust deputy makes a plastic pre vac cyclone that I think you can put water in it so the dust & sparks get swirled in water and settles to the bottom of the plastic container and the air then continues into the Vac by hose? I have one of these clear containers NIB.
You cover shipping and it is your's! Just email me.

It been a while since i researched this, Dust deputy makes a plastic pre vac cyclone that I think you can put water in it so the dust & sparks get swirled in water and settles to the bottom of the plastic container and the air then continues into the Vac by hose? I have one of these clear containers NIB.
You cover shipping and it is your's! Just email me.
Thanks Laurence,
That is very generous of you.
I will be talking to someone at oneida this week about my particular situation. I thought that last time I spoke to them, they denied knowing about adding ant water at all.
But, If They say I can put water in the plastic cyclone, than you have a deal.
How big and heavy is it? For shipping , under 50. To ny

Thanks,
Jon

Thanks Laurence,
That is very generous of you.
I will be talking to someone at oneida this week about my particular situation. I thought that last time I spoke to them, they denied knowing about adding ant water at all.
But, If They say I can put water in the plastic cyclone, than you have a deal.
How big and heavy is it? For shipping , under 50. To ny

Thanks,
Jon

Its all plastic NIB. Shouldn't be that much..

That was my plan, to put water in it and then I just concentrated on the air filter system and let my sparks go into the bucket of water.

Back