Damascus Supplier

opaul

I was on another website and awed by a few blades made from Dion Damascus. I went to their website and I'm impressed with what I saw. I did not see any heat treat info on the site but I've asked for the data.

$28 for 12" bar of Damascus makes me very cautious. It's also an odd combo of steels.
The prices were certainly on the low side. The photos of knives made from this steel on the other site were very nice. I read the background on the process of making the damascus and it sounds solid.

I just looked at the site and I would like to try a piece. I have wasted $40 on less. I may order one too Opaul. I think I will wait and see what our resident metallurgists say though.

I just looked at the site and I would like to try a piece. I have wasted $40 on less. I may order one too Opaul. I think I will wait and see what our resident metallurgists say though.
I ordered a couple pieces. If you go to Bladeforums under what’s going on in your shop (right now I think it’s the latest page) there are photos of the steel in question made into chef knives. The pattern is as nice as I have ever seen.

I agree I've wasted $40 on less. The choice of material for Damascus (1095/420HC), but should make for really good contrast, but I didn't realize 420HC was that good a blade steel. Interestingly the San Mai is more expensive than the Damascus, but since it's got Damascus cladding with 1095 core I can see why. BUT - only .025" thick core? Isn't that pretty thin?

I read about the 420 and it gets a good review. Some Buck knives use that steel.
The damascus is 3/16” with alternating layers of 1095 and 420. The San Mai is a core of 1095 at .025 then a layer of Ni on each side sandwiched with 100 layers of 1095 & 420 at .025 on each side.
You are correct- but that’s about the thickness I take my edges to before the secondary bevel. Some times less than that.

Last edited:
FYI. I am not recommending this steel nor do I have any affiliation with the supplier.
I was just curious after seeing the finished blades made from this steel.

I am ordering a couple. There may be a lot of Damascus Bowies in the KITH, ha ha. I was actually going to forge out some 1080/15N20 low layer for mine but at that price I may have to try it.

Back