Damascus, knives, and frozen pants

Travis Fry

A while back I started some damascus while at my friend Jim's house, and ran out of time before I had to go back home. I was out again this weekend, and after a long and cold and ultimately unsucessful Saturday of deer hunting, in which my pants literally froze solid (thank God for good long underwear), I was able to finish the final Ferry flip welds and see the results.

One of these is Ws, and the other is something like what I've seen called explosion:

ws damascus.jpg

I also forged a few blades. The small ones are san mai made from some cable we welded up last time with a core of 1075. The big one is from my very first damascus billet, about 300 layer twist. I cleaned them up a little on the grinder, but obviously have a long way to go before they're done. The billets in this pic are the same as the ones above:

forged and damascus.jpg

And another for fun. I had just welded a handle to a small stack that was to become some san mai. It was about 10 degrees Farenheit outside, but the forge kept it nice and toasty inside:

me welding.jpg

I don't agree with our hunt being unsuccessful. Anytime you can get outdoors with great friends and family is a great day. Yeah we never shot anything but it was a great day with my wife, Daughter Danielle and our Texas Buddy Travis. Then to top it off we got to spent time in the knife shop making Damascus the following day. Great weekend.
Jim

Sounds like a successful day to me. Fresh air, friends, family, nobody got shot and finally a hot fire and steel.

Too much information! LOL
I don't want to see any pics of frozen pants with Jason in them! lol

I will go spear fishing on a tropical island instead. No frozen pants for me. There's other makers in Hawaii to hang with!

I don't agree with our hunt being unsuccessful. Anytime you can get outdoors with great friends and family is a great day. Yeah we never shot anything but it was a great day with my wife, Daughter Danielle and our Texas Buddy Travis. Then to top it off we got to spent time in the knife shop making Damascus the following day. Great weekend.
Jim

Good point. It was a great time, frozen pants and all.

Back