D7 Micarta EDC

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Made this EDC for my college student nephew who turns out is into knives and and has a Gerstner full and never told me. I told him I'd make a knife for him, and his only requirement was something in green micarta, and left rest up to me. Design is a three finger with shortened tip design, thus the bluntness. This was one of those "fight me all the way" knives and took many hours to polish the D7, and another belt order. Thanks for looking.
Specs-
Blade: D7 61RC 3 cryo 4 tempers
Handles: Green canvas micarta w. brass spacers
Hrdwr: 416 SS pins and tube
Sheath: 6oz leather w. suede lining and steel belt clip, hand stitched
EDC12.jpg

EDC2-1.jpg

PA160049.jpg

EDC6.jpg

EDC8.jpg

EDC7.jpg

Thats a great blade , that D-7 is really tough stuff similar to cpm S-90v only tougher , its the only steel the US govt . claims is durable enough for US mint coining dies. I use hardened pieces of it for burnishing tools . If its not tempered it can get up to around 70 RC or so, and that is some hard steel. Its almost stainless , not quite enough chromium but, a lot of Vanadium ....

Thanks bubba-san...this blade was HT'd on low end for this steel at 1900F to avoid burning blades (had my first melted blade the other day) as I am still working out nozzle/temp sensor relationship in my furnace. I have 5 more blades ready to start finish grinds on that came out around 68RC after temper and cryo that were HT'd at 1950F for 30min.

Lots of makers don't know that much about that steel , Even though I make my own stuff , I would consider one of those .

68 rc is a hard knife but, in D-7 it is still a tough blade . I tried forging it, very hard to forge ! Should make some body real

happy........

Back