colored damascas?

Gahagan

I was looking on a thread here and I have seen some photos of some other knives with colored damascas. I have been out of the knife scene for a while but when did colored damascas come about and where can I get some? I am interested in making a couple of knives out of this stuff. Or is this just damascas with anodizing or blueing on it? Please give me some more information.

Last edited:
The coloring on damascus is generally accomplished once the blade is completely finished, meaning that you could do it with just about any damascus. The colors can be produced with Baking Lacquers, heat coloring, or hot/cold bluing solutions. They can be used alone or in combination to produce a wide array of colors/effects.

Out of those I listed, baking lacquer is the most durable, with heat coloring being the most fragile.

It takes a little playing around to figure it out, and get the effect(s) you desire. For example, baking lacquers work best on finer tighter patterns, that have been etched to the point where you can feel the topography with your fingertip. Heat coloring is basically oxide colors like those you would see when tempering a blade....and care must be taken to NOT exceed the tempering temps you used for the blade, otherwise you've basically softened the blade. Bluing solutions have their own quirks, but many of us have forgone the mixing, etc that traditional hot bluing tanks require by using Brownell's Nitre Blue.

Its just one more dimension a person can apply to their work, and as with anything, should be tested/experimented with to achieve the results an individual desires.

Last edited:
Thanks that was very informative. I think I might try to play around with some of these on some scraps I have.

pretty neat ed I will give it a try , I also found another way to etch damascus using copper scrappings and fillings . I add the copper to the etchant wait a few minutes and then immerse blade in etchant for a few minutes , when you remove it all of the carbon steel will be etched with a beautiful copper finish while the metals containing nickel will not, a very nice effect . Bubba

pretty neat ed I will give it a try , I also found another way to etch damascus using copper scrappings and fillings . I add the copper to the etchant wait a few minutes and then immerse blade in etchant for a few minutes , when you remove it all of the carbon steel will be etched with a beautiful copper finish while the metals containing nickel will not, a very nice effect . Bubba
Sounds neat. How much copper do you add to the etchant?

Back