Champion No. 1 Power Hammer

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
Does anyone on KD have a Champion No. 1 power hammer? Maybe ever use one? Perhaps have any information about them? Thoughts??

I've worked on a number of them over the years, and have rebuilt/sold exactly ONE.

Personally, versus a Little Giant, I didn't care for thee Champion hammers. In my experience they are a nightmare to adjust...meaning that you can never seem to get them adjusted correctly. The thing that bugged me the most is the arched springs they used. Compared to the coils in a LG hammer, the "leaf" springs get "sloppy" and "droop". I also dislike the way the dies are situated..... inline with the frame, so that you can only use them one way. (LG dies are offset at 45 degrees to the frame.....so you can use the either/both directions) I suppose if it's cheap enough, what the hey, but if you're thinking of getting one, aside from what I've already mentioned...... there are no parts available...... if it needs something, you either have to make it yourself, or have a machine shop do it for you.

Thank you Ed. I have never seen one. Didn’t know anything about them. I have researched Little Giants. Lots of information on the internet. Very little on the Champion No. 1.

Back