Carved sheath - process pics

SBranson

I got a request for 3 sheaths with a Canadiana theme. The maple leaf was chosen as the subject.

When I posted a pic after the first two were done on another forum I got a request for pics of the process so I documented the carving of the 3rd sheath.

I am pretty much a noob to the carving thing so forgive some inconsistencies and maybe some mistakes in the process but for what it's worth here's my method. (ever changing as I try more and more)

First off is the raw sheath. This is for a Scrapyard Dogfather. The plan was to make a collar with rings for a Baldric style carry sheath.

MapleLeaf_1.JPG

Here's the sketch.
MapleLeaf_2.JPG

Next is laying out the template for the leather. Because of the flare in the sheath and the curves I've added, it's not just a rectangle. I start by only cutting the main center shape and trim the wings that wrap around slowly as I refine how it will fit. Also one has to take into account the difference in the thickness of the paper vs. the leather.
MapleLeaf_3.JPG

MapleLeaf_4.JPG

MapleLeaf_5.JPG

MapleLeaf_6.JPG

The final shape and the transfer to the leather. I marked out the corners of the actual sheath (red arrows) so I can line up the drawing to be centered.

MapleLeaf_7.JPG

MapleLeaf_8.JPG

Punch the hole and line things up again and adjust.

MapleLeaf_9.JPG

At this point I cut the leather to the final shape and "cased" it. You wet the leather and let is come back to the original colour but it's still damp inside. This allows it to take and hold the shape of the carving and stamping.
There are products for this but so far water seems to work for me.

Transfer the drawing to the tracing film

MapleLeaf_10.JPG

MapleLeaf_11.JPG

Set the borders for the carving area. Didn't quite get the hole in the exact place and the leather is a little smaller than the drawing due to sanding and such so I had to move things around slightly to get it to fit.

MapleLeaf_12.JPG

MapleLeaf_13.JPG

Trace over the drawing with the stylus tool
MapleLeaf_14.JPG

MapleLeaf_15.JPG

Go over the lines with the swivel knife
MapleLeaf_16.JPG

These are the shading tools I will use. Pear shader, bevelers and spoons.
MapleLeaf_17.JPG

MapleLeaf_18.JPG

MapleLeaf_19.JPG

Stamp in some background detail
MapleLeaf_20.JPG

Almost finished.
MapleLeaf_21.JPG

Add some colour and highlights
MapleLeaf_22.JPG

And here's the finished sheath. I still have to make up the straps.
MapleLeaf_26.JPG

MapleLeaf_23.JPG

MapleLeaf_24.JPG

MapleLeaf_25.JPG

And here's the other two:

Mapleleafsheath.JPG

And here's all three together:

MapleLeaf_27.JPG

that's a nice job. I think leather work is quite a bit less forgiving than making knives...

The sheaths turned out absolutely fantastic! Most will not appreciate the work till they have tried it. I have tried a little of leather carving and I must say it "ain't easy", so I have a keen appreciation of good leather work. 2thumbs

Thanks alot guys.

I'm really having fun with this.
I did another little sheath for a Benchmade Activator 211 I got as a Christmas gift.

DSC_0797_01.JPG

The wife liked the 3rd one even better. She ranked 10 out of 10:) Just loved it and I have to agree:) Thank goodness not an Idaho theme as a potato does not look near as good!!

Jay W.

Those are very nice looking sheaths and a good tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to show us how it's done.

Bob

Back