Carbide tipped hammer

Gliden07

So these are all the rage lately. Decided to build one. Carbide tipped straightening hammer. It's a proof of concept and the proof my eyes aren't what they used to be! Balls a bit off center!! LOL! Cheapie HF Ball Peen 16 oz hammer, some epoxy and center peen the ball in for some extra security. Even with the ball off center it should work fine since you tap, tap, tap. Hopefully won't need it but you know I will! Anyone used these? What was your experience if you have?

Attachments

• 20240607_150519.jpg
    20240607_150519.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240607_150454.jpg
    20240607_150454.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Works great! Straightened many blades with my cheapy carbide hammers! 1st one was a carbide drill bit I drilled into the 8oz ball pein hammer head, broke off and reshaped. 2nd was a 3/8" carbide ball bearing I drilled into an 8oz hammer head. No epoxy needed on either. Straightening a blade or two seems to have set the ball into the head nicely into the hole and neither has come out. I did 2 for like $35 with the Vintaj brand 8oz ball pein hammer and 2, 3/8" carbide bearings.

Works great! Straightened many blades with my cheapy carbide hammers! 1st one was a carbide drill bit I drilled into the 8oz ball pein hammer head, broke off and reshaped. 2nd was a 3/8" carbide ball bearing I drilled into an 8oz hammer head. No epoxy needed on either. Straightening a blade or two seems to have set the ball into the head nicely into the hole and neither has come out. I did 2 for like $35 with the Vintaj brand 8oz ball pein hammer and 2, 3/8" carbide bearings.
I wasn't sure about the ball retention so I double down on it!! LOL!! I've only done the one so far. So cost wise I'm half of what your cost was so about the same. I have 3 of the bearings left so I will probably make 3 more sell them to my knife buddies and recoup all of my investment with maybe a couple buck profit. And use that to buy steel ir epoxy!

I used a spade style drill bit for glass and got it to the ball was set into the hole a little less than halfway and then set it in fully by hitting some mild steel. It kinda did a press fit of the ball into the hole. Easy peasy! The drill bit one was a 5/32" carbide drill bit. I used the bit to drill into the head, then shaped out the non fluted end of the bit to a rounded oval shape and then broke it almost in half and put it into the hole the bit drilled. Hit on metal a few times, can't pull it out.

I picked one up before trying AEB-L for the first time, knowing warpage would almost certainly be in my future (it was). They work great!

Just remember to temper before using the carbide hammer, and lay the blade on some wood rather than direct on the steel anvil. I broke an AEB-L chef blade that way.

Back