Cabinet maker rasps- worth the money?

So Brazilians do shoddy work? The ones that I have had for a number of years are very good.

So Brazilians do shoddy work? The ones that I have had for a number of years are very good.
I never said the Brazilians rasps are not good. This was second hand from another forum. Maybe I jumped the gun however I have seen files being made overseas are of a lesser quality than US made. The link to bogs was wrong should be www.boggstool.com. As is typical of ebay prices are all over the spectrum. The advantage to Vixen files are quick wood removal with a better surface than a 49 or 50 Nicholson rasp. I shaped plane handles with a vixen file and the surface was prepped with 150 grit prior to oiling.

I never said the Brazilians rasps are not good. This was second hand from another forum. Maybe I jumped the gun however I have seen files being made overseas are of a lesser quality than US made. The link to bogs was wrong should be www.boggstool.com. As is typical of ebay prices are all over the spectrum. The advantage to Vixen files are quick wood removal with a better surface than a 49 or 50 Nicholson rasp. I shaped plane handles with a vixen file and the surface was prepped with 150 grit prior to oiling.
And I have used the 49 and 50 for stuff like punky stabilized redwood burl and old growth brazilian rosewood in addition to the normal walnut and curly maple. The whine about them is that they are no longer made in the US, not that they don't work. The implication is that they are of lesser quality. I suspect that many complaining about them have never used EITHER version, but hey. its the internet, so it must be true. :D If you want to pay three times as much for something else not made in the US (France), buy the Auriuo rasps at like $120-140. ;)

Back