Botched sheath

Weatherman,
If you do a Google search for "casing leather" you will find tons of info. One of the sites will be Leatherworker.net which will have several tutorials on the subject. I tried to do a direct link to it, but for some reason it just didn't work???? Once you get this down, the next thing is to get a higher quality basket stamp that has much more detail to it. Some of the best are made by Bob Beard, Barry King, Gomph-Hackbarth, Wayne Jueske, Bill Woodruff, MacMillan, and others I just can't remember now. There are also some really great tutorials on laying out basket stamp on the same site.

Hope this helps.
Hasta,
PZ

Weatherman,
If you do a Google search for "casing leather" you will find tons of info. One of the sites will be Leatherworker.net which will have several tutorials on the subject. I tried to do a direct link to it, but for some reason it just didn't work???? Once you get this down, the next thing is to get a higher quality basket stamp that has much more detail to it. Some of the best are made by Bob Beard, Barry King, Gomph-Hackbarth, Wayne Jueske, Bill Woodruff, MacMillan, and others I just can't remember now. There are also some really great tutorials on laying out basket stamp on the same site.

Hope this helps.
Hasta,
PZ

I don't know anything about leather work to tell you the truth just what I have seen on tutorials between the knife forums. I don't even know what "casing leather" means. But I will take a look at the google search.

My sheaths are very functional and not decorated, but I use only heavy leathers, veg-tanned and 12 Oz. With a welt of the same thickness these are stout. With or without stamping I just don't see using lighter leathers, unless of course they are laminated. Perhaps a neck knife would warrant a lighter leather.

I use 8-9 ounce leather from several vendors. Honestly, some of the stuff from Tandy can be a little soft and pink for it's weight at times, which I have yet to find a way to remedy. I suppose there's a compound I can apply to toughen it up a little bit. The darker, stiffer cuts seem to make better sheaths but are a lot harder to get the tooling to take.

Back