Blasted solder balls!

Tod Lowe

I was trying to solder my first ever guard last night.
It's my first time soldering too. Wow what a frustrating mess.
Flux, solder, heat , solder disappears!
I read about 5 different tutorials on this last night and still can't figure it out.
The solder just rolls up into balls and rolls off the guard!
I will be trying again today.
Any tips let me know please.

Where are you applying your heat? I apply my heat with a torch below the guard, with the flame aimed up at an angle towards the guard and tang.

As you apply the solder, the solder wants to flow down into the intended joint.

I have had the same trouble when everything seemed right. I have found that using a steel pointed awl or sharp pointed scrap sometimes will start the flow. It's also easier to do using low temp lead free solder. Just kind of scratch the solder and joint to work and start some solder into the joint. The rest of the solder should follow the "tinning" solder, a natural attraction.

Another thing, is your flux actually at and inside the joint?

You may be getting the intended area too hot, too. I apply the solder wire before the joint is hot enough and hold it against the joint until the solder melts and move the end of the solder wire along the length of the joint.

Sometimes it helps to angle the blade so the angle of the top of the guard is sideways and downhill, so the solder will tend to pool and stay right at the joint instead of beading up and running off.

When you figure your blade and guard is hot enough to solder, use a Qtip to apply more flux right at the joint. Sometimes this works great for me when I am having trouble. Have the torch in one hand and the loaded Qtip in your other hand, and apply the flux quickly, followed by the solder while it is still at good soldering temp. This has been one of my best cures for a beading solder joint.

Thanks John. I feel a little better knowing other people have trouble.
I will certainly try your tips.

I have had about the same experience as John

some tips.

CLEAN everything very very well with denatured alchohol
flux only the areas you want soldered
solder will not flow past a pencil line (graphite)
solder at the LOWEST possible temperature, to much heat makes life suck
if the flux turns black it is burnt, let the piece cool, clean everything, start over (when you've soldered a bunch it's easier to tell just before you cross over the heat threshold...)
be absolutely 100% certain that you are using the correct flux for your solder.

Tell us what material your guard is made of . Stainless Nickel Silver or Brass ? Also if you are directing the heat from the back like John said. And what kind of solder are you using ?

Tell us what material your guard is made of . Stainless Nickel Silver or Brass ? Also if you are directing the heat from the back like John said. And what kind of solder are you using ?

The guard is 416 s.s.

The solder is silver solder from radio shack. The flux looks like bearing grease but more runny.
The knife is ats-34.
I tried again this morning and got whooped again.:eek::mad:
I ordered some flux and solder from Tracy this morning.Dont know if it will make a difference?

When people say clean it up before I try again what is meant by this?
Clean it with what? It seems I just cant get the heat right. I can sit there for an hour trying to get it then wham its too hot.

The guard is 416 s.s.

The solder is silver solder from radio shack. The flux looks like bearing grease but more runny.
The knife is ats-34.
I tried again this morning and got whooped again.:eek::mad:
I ordered some flux and solder from Tracy this morning.Dont know if it will make a difference?

When people say clean it up before I try again what is meant by this?
Clean it with what? It seems I just cant get the heat right. I can sit there for an hour trying to get it then wham its too hot.

I pickle the pieces in a 1/4 Hydrochloric/water solution for 5 minutes or so

I've never once managed to solder a good joint with anything but Stay-brite flux and silver solder (got my first coil from Pop's a LONG while ago, just about ready to get some more from Tracy)

I've never once managed to solder a good joint with anything but Stay-brite flux and silver solder (got my first coil from Pop's a LONG while ago, just about ready to get some more from Tracy)

Stephan just answered you soldering blue's , get the good stuff.

Back