Bladesmith Hammer

Casey Brown

I am curious to hear opinions on this. I've seen the Japanese hammers and hammers listed as Bladesmith hammers that put the weight forward on the head of the hammer. What advantage or preference does that give for blade forging?

Curious on this. I think ( based on my very limited experience with forging.) the most important thing on any hammer is dressing the face. Making it the where it has no sharp edges and I believe a little radius. If you do both of those things I believe just about any hammer could be used for forging. Take this all with a grain of salt because I am a complete newbie.

I have read a little on the Dog’s Head hammer I have seen similiar called sawyers hammers. If I remember correctly most who use them really like them for hammering in bevels on blades and such. When they are made correctly the handle and head form an angle that looks to me like it is biased for that purpose. I have not tried one though so I cannot give any advice there. What I have used a ton is a rounding hammer though. I have a 3.5 pound rounding hammer a guy in S.C. Forged for me and it is what I use for 95% of my smithing projects wether they are knives, tools, hooks or anything else. If I could only have one hammer that would be it. If you do some study from guys like Brian Brazeal on how to effectively use the rounding hammer it WILL improve your work in speed and quality. It sure did for me.

I think it's all in an individuals personal preference. I tried the Japanese style hammers, and didn't like them.... I found them more tiring to use, and more difficult to control then traditional american or english style hammers.

More important then the particular style, is the shape of a hammer's face. IMO, a Bladesmithing hammer should have a covex face, and be a smooth and clean as possible..... I tend to keep my hammer faces mirror finished, or very close to it. Don't get caught up in the ego trip of wanting to use a heavier hammer...... forging is more about finesse and control then about brute power. The vast majority of individuals can get more work done with a 2-2 1/2lb hammer then a larger one.... heavier hammers tend to tire you out, and once tired, accuracy and control go right out the window. :)

Back