Blade show

KenH

Hello all - I made Blade show this weekend for the first time ever. It was even more than I expected - GREAT time. The wife enjoyed it MUCH more than she expected - says we're planning to be there next year...... The Lilly show will be there also.

I got to meet quite a few of the KD folks, and sit in with a couple of seminars. Tony Bose's slipjoint was really good. Steve's Cut 'n Shoot - WOW!! Nice.

Ken H>

Pics or it didn't happen.

Now it's back to reality with a million ideas swirling around in your head.

Rudy

Well, I think the only photo I took was a lowly cell phone pic of a table of mammoth ivory. I was VERY impressed with all the mammoth ivory that was on different tables. Only a small amount of Pre-Ban ivory, but LOTS of mammoth.

Mammoth Ivory.jpg

I wondering around with my mouth hanging open in amazement so much I just didn't get any photos.

Ken H>

Nope, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting "the Boss" - There were many other fine folks. Kevin Cashen Ed Caffery, Jim Coffee, and so many other fine folks. I would have needed to make a list to kept them all straight. Everyone was just as helpful there as here on the forums.

Ken

It was a great show. This was my 2nd time going and it was still overwhelming for me. Got to meet and talk with Tony Bose, Aldo, Calvin Robinson, Ed Caffrey and several others. Everyone was really great and it a real treat to get to spend time with a legend like Tony Bose.

Ken - It was good to meet you during Tony's seminar. Hope to see you there again next year.

Jim

You are right about a great time! I also was impressed by the fossil ivory tables. Met a whole pack of Dogs and when I left on Saturday there wasn't room in the pickup for any more stuff. I also met Steve Shackleford the editor of Blade Magazine and talked quite a bit with him about knifemaking and the show in general. Here's a couple of photos of some of the stuff I got while there shot with my cellphone.

Attachments

• rps20140608_115228.jpg
    rps20140608_115228.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 25
  • rps20140608_115200.jpg
    rps20140608_115200.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
  • rps20140608_114835.jpg
    rps20140608_114835.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
  • rps20140608_115124.jpg
    rps20140608_115124.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 25
  • rps20140608_132813.jpg
    rps20140608_132813.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
  • rps20140606_230125.jpg
    rps20140606_230125.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 29
  • rps20140606_225812.jpg
    rps20140606_225812.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 36
  • rps20140606_230203.jpg
    rps20140606_230203.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
  • rps20140606_225942.jpg
    rps20140606_225942.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet more KD guys..
I can assure you that Josh Dabney represented tho...

The show was as big as it ever was and then some. I've been going for 7 years and after a few years of decline in booths/tables this year it was packed.
The show is changing. It's turning from a pure knife show to a lifestyle show. There were more survival/prepper lifestyle vendors than ever. They appear to be growing in number and assortment. Why buy just a knife when you can get a bag, flashlight, paracord bracelet, emergency kit, etc, etc.

It had to change or continue to wither away so no complaints on that from me.

I would have liked to seen better grouping of interests in tables and booths. I was bouncing from one vendor to another but they were across the hall from each other. Offer to have the attendees self classify themselves and then put their booth or table in a group. The wood resellers were all over the place and it was hard to even begin to see them all. Blade, get the custom makers together, the purveyors together, the suppliers together to make the show easier to take it all in.

There were a lot (a lot) of tactical folder guys. A lot. Many of the them sold several knives. Some sold just a few. I'm not sure when this is going to get maxed out but it seems we might be getting close. The military/tactical fixed blades were also highly represented with several new guys buying into the show with a booth and lot's of marketing finesse.

If the USA continues to draw down troops overseas will it help or hurt military fixed blades? I think it won't help as a lot of blades get sent over to see action. If there isn't action, there isn't sales. Maybe this isn't the time to build up a whole mid tech company around fixed tacticals. I'm entitled to be wrong.

There seemed to be more interest/sales in high end collectable slip joint and other folders. Quite a few makers reported good sales on these. Even new makers to this niche reported some good sales.

If you have never been to Blade, there is a large contingent of Japanese vendors that tend to buy tables together. Most show goers walked by with out even glancing at their knives. I'm not sure why there seems to be little interest in Japanese cutlery.

Tips for guys gearing up for your first show.

• Have plenty of business cards out across your table so people can easily grab one with out even slowing down.
  • Consider getting rack cards printed with your best selling models.
  • Have a table banner made so people can see at a glance who you are. They cost about a hundred bucks.
  • Have an email sign up list.
  • Have a nice printed sign on your table about who you are and where you are. A lot of conversations start with a comment about where you live.
  • Jesus loves Mary, wear clean clothes. Seriously. It's shocking how many people wear dirty jeans and tshirts and then try to conduct business.
  • A few pieces of hard candy on the table is nice.
  • Stand up and talk to people walking by. I saw several tables attended by people reading books or playing on their ipad or phone. They didn't do so well.
  • If you are selling your own shirts, wear one.
  • If you are selling your own knives, carry one of yours. It's amazing to me the number of guys that carry someone else's knife. I get they are your friends but at least carry your own knife when you are at a show.
  • Encourage people to pick up the knives. Consider putting a sign on the table that says "Pick me up!". If you can get a knife into someone's hand, you have a much better chance of selling one.
  • Put the prices on the knives so people walking by can see them. Showing a price isn't a deal breaker. Not showing a price and forcing a customer to work at getting a price is not good business.
  • If you are bringing your own chair, make it a high sitting chair so you are at eye level with people.
  • Folders should be open. The blade profile, finish and grind matter and help sell the blade.
  • Blade tips should point sideways for folders and towards you for fixed blades. You want people to pick up the knives, not be held at knife point.
  • If you have magazine articles, awards, etc. Put them on the table. I see a lot of customers looking at these.
  • If you have magazine articles, awards, etc, that are 10 years old, ratty, torn and dirty. Don't put them on the table.
  • Guys that share tables (even though you aren't supposed to) always have more fun and seem to do better than guys that are alone.
  • If your wife hates knife shows, leave her at home or send her shopping. If your wife is friendly and enjoys people, bring her.
  • Don't eat at your table. I never stop at a table or booth when I see the guy eating. It takes 5 minutes to eat your sammich. Eat it in the back and have a neighbor cover your table.

Last edited:
Nice Report and good advice Boss.
Next year I'm going, I know, thats what I said last year. Do you know if there is a waiting list for tables? When is the best time to put in for one?

Thanks Boss - you make some really valid good points. One point I might add for the Blade folk - PUT SOME TABLE ROW/AISLE NUMBERS on each aisle table!!!!! While there were row numbers waaay over on left side, you couldn't see those numbers except in the aisle they were located. Sure was hard to find a specific table even with the table row/aisle number.

Your comment about the table banner is really valid - and it doesn't even have to be a $100 banner, just a simple sign on table so when I walk by, I know who you are.

Jim, I sure enjoyed chatting with you also - I think we both learned a lot from Tony Bose's talk on slip joints 'n folders.

George, you are not along with buying stuff. While I didn't "load the truck", I sure purchased more than I had any intention of buying. Had I listened to the wife I might have purchased even more - she surely enjoyed that show!

KD folks - I think next year we need to plan a bit better, everyone wear a KD shirt or something. I've never in my life worn one of those tee shirts with logos and words printed all over them... I "might" do something like that for Blade 'n KD group...... Maybe just a lapel tag? {grinning}

Ken H>

Last edited:
Next year I'm going, I know, thats what I said last year. Do you know if there is a waiting list for tables? When is the best time to put in for one?

I heard from more than one source Blade show totally sold out at one point. Then I heard at the last minute, they contacted several people on a wait list for tables that opened up. If you reserve 3 months out, you should almost be assured of a table. The booths are getting bigger and more elaborate and the table count (it appears) is going down a bit.

Bruce knows. I went to the Little Rock show in 2013. Guess who was standing, dressed well, and speaking to every one that looked at him?

Dozier

Accuracy beats Speed

Last edited:
I had a heck of a time at blade, so many people were willing to share their advice with me. A very nice man at the Nicholsan wood table, gave me two pieces of handle blocks after I told him I was just getting into knife making. Met so many great people, if anything it was more of the makers that made it enjoyable for me, rather then the very impressive knives.

Better labeling of the tables and booths would be a huge help, I wondered around quite a bit trying to find specific makers.

I do my Best Boss.

I had a great time at the show as usual. As typical I spent a lot of time in the ABS section talking to folks and studying knives and had the pleasure to see some dogs and meet some new ones.

One final thanks to Jim Coffee for the VIP tickets. Also got to chat with John Sanford ( J S Machine ) Calvin Robinson, Les George, Ed Caffrey, and BossDog himself.

Bladeshow is a Whirlwind.

From the day before you leave to the after you get home it's non stop sensory overload.

If your crazy or a non table holder you never know what bladeshow memories you just may come home with.

Have an extra bit of fun in the pit Friday night and end up in a cab with Travis Wuritz posse headed to Docs.

Crash that Daggone Busse party at Jock and Jills

3:30am Waffle House breakfast.

Haitian Cabbie- "You can't be getting in my cab with dat big ass WEAPON"

Ken Onion looking over your 240 Gyuto and call it "impressive"

The truly enjoyable experience of meeting folks you've known for years online.

Good times friends, Good times indeed

-Josh

I got to see several people I know, but it was more just running people down that I intended to see. Great to meet Josh Dabney. Just as good of a guy in person as he is here on the forum..a mentor to many for sure. I had a chance to speak with Les George and also Steve Davis - another good friend of mine. I wanted to speak to several people, but as usual they were tied up with people at their tables. I try not to interrupt anybody because I can imagine how important it must be to move inventory, especially after paying the $500 or so it costs for the table.

I learned about lotteries. I had no idea the best makers did this. I can only imagine what it must be like to be so good that you have to do lotteries for your knives, to keep them flying off of the table. That simply amazes me.

I agree with Tracy on many of his points. The show does seem to be going in the direction of prepper/survival. It is amazing to me how many people you see walking around in there with man purses..or a "satchel" according to Alan from The Hangover movie :)

I completely agree with grouping vendor types together. It would be so much easier for buyers to purchase items from vendors if they were all in one place. I spent the majority of my time stopping at various booths scattered among the show looking at materials I was interest in. It would have been much easier to decide what to buy if they had all been right next to each other so I could compare. Even if I had my eye on one particular piece, the chances of actually remembering where it was or how to get back to it were slim.

Lastly, I would really like to go one year and not be on a time frame. That seems to have been the case every year that I have gone. I still enjoy it though, and it is worth it to make the three hour drive one way.

Oh, and Jesus, tell somebody to turn the AC on in that building..

Bruce, there are enough empty tables that you should have no trouble getting one.
Call soon.

Back