Black Dye rubbing off on hands

Mapper

Ok all you leather dye experts I am having a little trouble with my black dye and was hoping I could get some insight as to why. First off I am rather new to working with leather. I got started in it because since I build knives I just think a new knife needs a nice leather sheath. So here is the problem I am having. I dye my sheaths either light brown or black using the fiebing's spirit dyes. The brown works great but the black wants to rub off on your hands even weeks after it was dyed. I have tried different bottles of dye but same thing happens. I always deglaze using deglazer or alcohol and once all the dye is applied I then wipe it all down with a rag and let it dry overnight. Any reason why this happens with the black dye and not with the brown dye?

Thanks

John

Vinegaroon black will not rub off as it turns the leather black by chemical reaction rather than by pigments. Iron/steel shavings, nails, rusty nuts and bolts, ect. dissolved in vinegar. Requires a few weeks for the solution to form. The iron must be clean of any oils, plating, or coatings. When the solution is right, it takes only a few minutes to blacken vege-tanned leather. If interested, I can gives more details, but I have to go for now. Chuck Burrows, Wild Rose, can tell you more also.

Back