Bit of a rant...

To take your stance to a logical conclusion, in a war zone everyone has a gun, yet I wouldn't exactly call them a safe place to be. Had the venue at the Florida nightclub had metal detectors at the entrances, much of that carnage may have been avoided. There was nothing that prevented a person from carrying a weapon into that club. Obviously, that scenario did not work. The perp in that incident was neither patted down or gone over with a metal detecting wand. Certainly something has to change.

And where does it stop? Will every gas station have a metal detector? Pat downs as you enter the daycare center to drop your kids off? In the case of some crazy bent on mass murder, what's a security checkpoint going to do? All you have to do is shoot the security guards. The metal detector beeps won't be loud enough to drown out the sound of the shooting. A security checkpoint is like a lock on a gate. All it does is keep an honest man honest. Anyone there on a mission of ill intent is not going to be deterred.

As to the war zone being unsafe, your chances of being killed are higher in Chicago or Detroit than Baghdad at the height of the war.

my first exposure to this sort of thing was a semi-strip search(i was allowed to keep my briefs on) in Atlanta airport in 1972. there had been two recent hi-jackings of airliners by military members, so all military were searched before boarding. so I quit carrying a pocket knife. knife in the car, knife in tackle box, knife in backpack, but no knife in pockets.
is all this institutional paranoia? sure is it going to change soon? i hope so. is it fair that my Gerber multi-tool treated the same as switchblade? no, but if i am doing security of an event, it is easier to just say no knives.

The only thing that I've been hearing from the gun lobbyists is "this won't work because (fill in the blank, we've heard them all) or that won't work because (ditto)". Fine, then tell me what will work? More guns? Guns for everyone and in everyplace? (War Zone mentality). Saying that more guns will solve everything is like a doctor saying if there were only more cancer, we could cure cancer. For the times that we live in, there is simply going to have to be some compromise. How unfortunate that some of us will be inconvenienced by this. I've owned guns all my life, mostly for hunting though I do currently have a few sidearms, also for hunting. I also grew up in Detroit, so I know a little bit about growing up in a hostile environment, though I moved away from that hell hole many years ago. If I had to live in an environment where I felt the need to always be armed, I'd leave and seek a new place to live. Believe it or not, there are places in America that are relatively free of the madness. Where you can walk down the street and not worry about getting mugged. Granted, no place is crime proof. No place ever was. But I refuse to live my life being paranoid to the point that I feel that I must always be armed. I'd sooner become a hermit first.

so pout and dont do the show. this is 2016 and unfortunately enough crazies have killed folks and organizers of any event are paranoid. what does it matter that you have to leave your pocket knife in the car? i had to open my camera bag and go thru metal detectors so i could watch my grandson play basketball. that unfortunately is the new reality.

Pout?, I'm not pouting Scott. I started this thread to ask what others thought. it seems quite a few agree with what you perceive as pouting. I don't know if you've ever been to a Ducks Unlimited fundraiser but it is quite different than a high school basketball game where students, coaches and parents have taken to fist fighting in the stands and on the court, like I mentioned earlier their are places where scanning at the door is proper, and "depending" on where in the US that game is taking place it "may" be the proper thing to do.
you ask, what does it matter that I have to leave "my" knife in the car? here is where it matters Scott,
they are asking me to bring a stack of knives "into" their show "and" kindly donate a knife that I would probably value at 3-4 hundred dollars BUT please leave your pocket knife at home or in your car.
principles aside, that sounds kind of redundant to me Scott, maybe it's just me, am I missing something here?

No inanimate object EVER committed any crime. The issue is with the human mind. If an individual is bent on committing any type of crime for whatever reason out of a host of reasons, that person will commit that crime. Period. No gun law or metal detector or any other security measure really, (unless it is armed and trained and can neutralize the threat) is going to save anyone's life against someone bent on malice and mayhem.

Do you think any person, ever in history, ever said to themselves, "Boy, I'd sure like to go mow down some innocent crowd in some public place but, doggone it....guns are illegal and aren't allowed in there. Darn my luck."

The idea is laughable.

I don't blame you for your stance on the the banquet's policy and not wishing to contribute anymore. You're not obligated to give them anything. You were trying to do your part to help but actions and thinking like this could ultimately lead to us in our craft becoming criminals someday for making banned 'weapons'.

I probably wouldn't donate my time and products to an event that banned the very products I make for a living.

I do agree that this probably is not the mindset and thinking of the organization as a whole.

Find a solution that actually solves the problem and doesn't cause harm to innocents and I'll be first in line to back it. All of the solutions offered so far do nothing about the problem and only cause harm to innocents and law abiding. Deal with the criminals and crazies causing the problems rather than taking tools from the hands of those who have done no harm.

For me personally, it isn't about carrying out of fear. It is simply a matter of being prepared and having the proper tools. Same reason I keep a fire extinguisher in each of my vehicles, keep a few in the house and have a few in the shop. I don't live in fear of a fire either but I know crap happens and better to have and never need than to need and not have. Same reason I keep extra food and water in the pantry. Same reason I keep the woodshed well stocked. Same reason I keep vehicles, fuel tanks, and propane tanks topped off when possible. Crap happens. No fear involved. If a winter storm takes out the power lines (as is common in my neck of the woods) I have no fear of going hungry or cold. It will happen; I simply chose to spend a little time/effort ahead of time to minimize the impact upon myself and my family. I simply don't wish to become dependent on others for matters I can, and should, handle myself.

Pout?, I'm not pouting Scott. I started this thread to ask what others thought. it seems quite a few agree with what you perceive as pouting. I don't know if you've ever been to a Ducks Unlimited fundraiser but it is quite different than a high school basketball game where students, coaches and parents have taken to fist fighting in the stands and on the court, like I mentioned earlier their are places where scanning at the door is proper, and "depending" on where in the US that game is taking place it "may" be the proper thing to do.
you ask, what does it matter that I have to leave "my" knife in the car? here is where it matters Scott,
they are asking me to bring a stack of knives "into" their show "and" kindly donate a knife that I would probably value at 3-4 hundred dollars BUT please leave your pocket knife at home or in your car.
principles aside, that sounds kind of redundant to me Scott, maybe it's just me, am I missing something here?

unfortunately it is the way things have become. i have sold knives at numerous sales where the sign at the door says no knives. the use of pout was not proper and I apologize. after adventures in US, Canada, Europe, and Asia, I quit carrying a knife just to avoid the possible hassle.

Here's a novel idea...... Personal Responsibility! :what!: During my career I traveled all over this planet, in one place I witnessed a man being publicly castrated because he had been convicted of rape, in another I witnessed a man's hand being cut off in public because he was convicted of theft. If you do a little research will will discover that at one time the country of Sweden had the highest murder rate in the world. That country enacted a law that any crime committed with a weapon was punishable by death. It took approx. 24 months (and a number of executions) for them to go from the highest murder rate, to one of the lowest on the planet.

I've heard many say that they don't spank/punish their children, because they don't want them to be afraid.....on that note what is respect? Respect is simply a health fear of something. Anybody with any sense would not go to a wall socket, and stick a dime in the slot......why? Because those who have, have a fear of doing it (in other words a healthy respect).

In this country there is no fear of punishment, simply because there is no real punishment to be afraid of... only a "corrections" system that breeds dependency, and gives better living conditions and benefits then many hard working/honest people have. For the most part there simply isn't any personal responsibility anymore.... theses day people don't do what's just, they do what they think they can justify.

It will only continue to get worse as long as the sniveling liberals have their way. I can't help but be reminded of a clip from the movie Captain American The Winter solider...... "We created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready for give up it's freedom for it's security."

The very reason things became this way is because we let them get this way! I personally am sick of it. We have became a nation of "Politacly Correct"!

I for one am sick of it we have given up our rights to accommodate other people! I am gonna tell you our forefathers were very smart people. They realized that had they not been able to keep their weapons, well lets say we would all be speaking British.

They also realized they had to be a separation between Church and State. However that separation was supposed to be designed to work both ways!!

They realized that without God there is no country.

They realized power corrupts and that the State has to respect the people and their rights or once again, the people would rise up to stop tyranny and the corruption of power!

Where we screwed up is when The Supreme Court of the United States, instead of interpreting law they began to write law!!

I say stand up for your rights, write ,call the people who have those venues and let them know. if they are going to violate your rights then you will not patronize their establishments. They have the right to establish rules in their establishment but I also have the right not to patronize their establishment!!

Ed, that is about as true as it gets,
"We created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready for give up it's freedom for it's security." :58:
OK I am thru with my rant!

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is a knife related forum, not a firearms or political action forum. So let's keep it that way and I won't lock this thread.

On that note, I went to the local rib fest a few weeks back. They had blues bands and decent sized crowd for our small town. Going through the entrance they had security checking bags and wanding people. I thought it was to stop contraband beer and booze so the beer vendors could sell more. Nope, it was a weapons check. I have a concealed carry permit but wasn't carrying that day so I didn't think much of it. I got in line, emptied my pockets of keys and small folder and held them in my hand as security wanded me. They asked to see what was in my hand and I showed them. I wasn't attempting to conceal anything. The guard saw the pocket knife her eyes got big.

Guard: "What's your plan B? You can't bring that in here. You can either throw it away or take it to your car." A snarky comment but typical now days from too many security guard types that a bit full of themselves. I was more than a little surprised and aggravated. I don't carry a folder as a weapon and don't consider it as one. (Who brings a knife to a gun fight?) It's a tool to me I use a dozen times a day.

Me: "What do you mean?" I wanted to hear it again as I couldn't believe what she just told me.
guard: "You can't have that in here. You can take it to your car or you can throw it away right over there" pointing to the trash can.
me: "Well, that isn't happening."
Now others in line are taking notice and I can see people take a step back like I am John Dillinger plus I have gained the attention of a couple other guards at the gate. A couple wearing tazers. Don't taze me bro.
This was a no win situation. I took it back to the car and went back through security with out any issue.

There wasn't any point in making a big deal of it there as they were doing what they were told to do.
I will send an email to the organizers and complain but I'm sure nothing will come of that.

I felt darn near naked after that with out my little folder but the ribs were good and so were the blues bands.
The end.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. most all of them mirrored exactly how I feel.
Bossdog, even though left field is still part of the field I really didn't expect this thread to start going towards the 2nd amendment and I wandered if you were going to get in on this and somewhat temper it down...but jees...I wasn't expecting you to tell us this happened to you a few weeks ago. but like I had said earlier, I guess there are some places where you just got to grin and bear it if you want to go. a Ducks unlimited fundraiser just doesn't seem like one of them.
And I'll end it with one of my favorite sayings....When seconds count...the Police are just minutes away.

Back