Big Blades at the Gathering

Stormcrow

On the trek between San Antonio and Las Vegas, I stopped at a rest area in central Arizona to get some photos of the forged blades I took to the Gathering. And now I'm finally posting the pics. :)

This cleaver was a commission to be picked up at the show, but it came back with me to get some Kydex pants. Blade is approximately 14 1/2" long, forged from 80CrV2, integral socket handle, retina-searing neon lime paracord wrap.

Next up a couple of long-handled cleavers in 5160 and more retina-searing citrus paracord. Both the blades and handles are around 10" long.

A big bush sword with an 18 1/4" blade, fully sharpened top edge, in 5160 and tan paracord.

And a shot of it in hand.

And finally, a couple that I felt was an interesting project, a long-handled wakizashi/short-bladed katana and tanto daisho, forged from 5160 with retina-searing neon orange paracord underlays. The waki's blade is about 18" and the handle is about 12", while the tanto's blade is about 9".

The wakizashi straightened a fair amount in the quench, something I expected and compensated for with extra curvature beforehand. I documented it this time. At the point where the blade reaches the edge of the anvil face, it has dropped about 1/4".

And I had a stack of 15" Woodsman and Wrecker tomahawks. I so appreciate my wife's help at the show!

Sweet mother of brightness. That neon green really pops the whole dark forged blade. As always man you create some cool blades and come up with interesting handle colors.

Back