Awesome experience and a very cool find

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
I had an awesome experience today. A person I know asked me to look at her father-in-law's things. He was a knife maker/gun fixer/collector kind of guy. Since I make knives, she thought I would want some of the stuff. All that I knew is that he died about ten (10) years ago and there were boxes of his things to look through and look at. I was like a 10 year old at Christmas.

I was told that I could pick and choose the stuff that I would want to use and keep for making knives. All I had to do was promise her to give them a fair price on the stuff and help educate them about some of the other things. I was more than excited to look through the stuff.

I discovered partially completed knives, axes, spear points, arrow heads. Very interesting tools both purchased and created. All kinds of leather, steel, handle material, pins, plates, you name it. Brass, aluminum, steel, copper, etc.

And in one of the last boxes - I found a F.J. Richtig knife and a brochure. Farm fresh. I have heard about him and his aluminum handled knives because I live near his hometown. But, today, I got to hold one. Very cool. I took a couple of pictures that I will attempt to post up later.

It was cool going through all his stuff. After looking at all of it (massive amounts), I could kind of figure out how he made things, what he liked, and the methods to his madness of creation. I felt like the guys on American Pickers. It was an honor to help them out - ever so slightly.

I need relax - my heart is still pumping strong. It was a really enjoyable day.

DeMo

Bruce : The Richtig knife is not mine. I put her in touch with someone to get an appraisal. I could not take advantage of her and take something potentially that valuable. I did a quick internet search and WOW!!! I think she may sell it . . . someday . . . for the right price.

I did negotiate a fair deal on brass, aluminum, steel, sandpaper, handle material, corby bolts, guard material, partial knives, spear points, and a whole bunch of other essentials to knife making. If it was not 4 degrees in my garage, I would post up a picture. Sorry.

I will say, my Christmas buddy is going to like me this year. I found some killer stuff for under $25.00.

Just in time for Christmas - - - my knife angel has been busy watching over me. I am very blessed.

DeMo

Back