Anyone used the Rockwell Testing Files?

Chris Railey

I would like to have a way to test the hardness of my blades other than skating a regular file or breaking it like glass. I know the files may only indicate a five point difference but at least its a ballpark. I have read a couple of things that suggest with practice on known samples you may be able to "guess the number" a little closer. Sending samples off to a tester does not really appeal to me as I like to do things myself but a 1-2K testing machine is not at the top of my list either. What are your opinion on the files?

I like them for what they are: a reasonably priced alternative to the machine. No, they are not as accurate but they seem to give me a pretty good idea of results. They do take a little practice to use. But what doesn't?

I like them for what they are: a reasonably priced alternative to the machine. No, they are not as accurate but they seem to give me a pretty good idea of results. They do take a little practice to use. But what doesn't?
Bruce would you mind telling me a little about how you use them? Or what takes practice? I am thinking on buying some.

There are instructions on the case they come in. Basically you slide the file on your workpiece and see if it scratches the surface.
You start at the low end (45) and work up. Pretty easy once you feel it happening.
Just remember that it's a 5 point swing.
They aren't overly expensive. I think I paid $45.00 for mine. Got them on ebay.

I bought a set and never did figure out how to get any accuracy from them. I don’t like that they have a 5 point range between each one.

If I was wanting something cheaper than a tester, I’d get the testing chisels that Matthew Parkinson at Dragons Breath forge makes. I believe they have a 2 point range on them. https://www.etsy.com/listing/565591...s+breath+forge&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1&cns=1

If you want to try the files, I’ll send you mine, if I can still find them.

I suppose they may not be enough to tell right where the RC is....but surely good enough to tell you if you blew a heat treat or not?

My plan with the files was to get some known hardness coupons in the 58-65 range and use them as comparisons. Not the most scientific way but it should get me closer than 5 points. The chisels are a good idea too though.

Back