any info would be great

franklin

someboby wants me to well lets say redo this old knife but i hate tearing into something that i dont now about may not be worth a ton but may have a cool history its marked colonial prov usa on it heres a couple of pics

Last edited:
just went through about 75 pages of colonial prov usa knives and could not find anything close help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know anything about it but I'd be hesitant to tear it apart, too. Maybe you could make a replica and "antique" it instead?

thats what i was hoping but got a feeling if i cant tell the guy something hes going to want me to do something i dont want to thinking of offering him something for it i emailed colonial hoping they get back to me so i have some ideal about it thanks for looking james

my first impression looking at it was "fish knife" with those unusual serrations on the top.
from the construction style, I'm guessing 50's to 60's era?

every fish knife i looked at on there site did not look like this 1 cuz i was thinking the same as you boss so at a loss and ill be getten that oven soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it isn't worth much redone franklin.
i think it better left alone.
i know you can make him one similar.
that woyuld be the best in my opinion.
jd

This is a Colonial Providence RI Sawback hunter circa 1940's. Should have a leather sheath that came with it.
If there is nothing wrong with the knife encourage this somebody to leave it be.
Make a copy or find another that needs work to convert.
Worth about $150 --- $200 with the original sheath.

thank you well dont now your name but will tell himleave it be no sheath do you now were i can get a pic of it maybe make him 1 to match original

Hello,
I don't know the size of this colonial knife from your pictures.
They did come in different sizes but all the sheaths were basically the same and straight forward ones.
This sawback's blade is typical but the knife does have some unique scales I have never seen before.
At first chance it looks like a folder.
Are you sure this knife wasn't already redone at one time?
Never the less, I'd leave it the way it is.
Here is a couple of pic's of what the sheath looked like.
They came in different colors.
Dark brown or black would look good with that knife.
"jamie~" (knives are quiet)

DSCN7982_001.jpg

DSCN7983_001.jpg

sweet thanks for the pics. no it does not look like anyone has touched it but if they did sure looks original

Back