Antler pith

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
I have some old antler material that is pretty brittle, but I think usable still. About 30 pieces. They've been setting outside for about 20 years and have surface decay, but I cut some and they look similar to bone when all that is sanded away. They should be strong enough between a finger guard and butt plate. But they are full of very very dry pith.

So for a hidden tang what is the best process for pithy antler material? I know of only two options but have doubts about both.
One is to make a square hole all the way through so only the tang fits and warm the epoxy so it'll fill in the pith. That way seems like a gamble because you can't see if every crevice was filled.

The second I know is to drill out everything and them fill with epoxy and place a pin for something extra so it can't turn. But I've seen knives made out of hollow handle material with no pin.

Maybe I don't realize how strong epoxy is. Maybe either way is fine.

You can get a stick epoxy that you kneed to make it soft and then you can jam it into the hole. Don't get crazy and pack it super tight. You will want to be able to push the tang into it to leave a hole for the tang after the epoxy dries. I would tell you what the product's name is but like most the the things in my basement I can't locate it.

Doug

Back