An arrow "sheath"

CAJones

Quivers hold sharp, pointy things. So that counts as a sheath, right?:les:

In practice for carving and tooling, I dismantled the quiver I made a couple years ago to fancy it up a bit. While I was at it, I decided to make a matching wrist guard. I've done simple stamping and basketweaves on sheaths before, but this is only the 2nd and 3rd time I've carved. Any advice or critiques are more than welcome.

2WyB9KJ.jpg

Q67D2WD.jpg

VkZpGqL.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

In some countries a pouch sheath is called a quiver! Had a gentleman order a knife with quiver from me, to which I replied "A what? "

Very nice tooling for a first try. Mine was no where as nice.

Well I love the tooling but, I want to see how it all looks assembled up! A sheath/quiver is never complete till its done and the offending sharp objects are with or in it!:what!::happy:

I use to shoot a bow until I got hurt and had back surgery and I could no longer pull the compound to break it over. Mine was an older bow and the let off was good but, the pull to get to that point at 85lbs. was more than I could pull. So I finally sold it and all of my accessories to good friend with a good deal!
I have had thoughts of a more traditional bow here lately but not sure if how I would do with one and there isn't a decent bow shop around here anymore, and don't know enough on my own to get started. I feel I might be able to go traditional as I was a finger shooter even with the compound. It is really all about technique when finger shooting. The last good bow shop we had around her went the way of the dinosaurs you know!:biggrin:

Thanks fellas. I too want to see it finished up. I just dyed it tonight, will decide tomorrow if I'm going to antique it or glue it together.
The basketweave on the quiver took me twice as long as the whole wristguard to this point. :31:
Chris

There are a whole list of things I'd do differently and to get a good look at the main stitch line it is horrid. I however was a whole lot of the tooling practice I was looking for.
Z7BVP8O.jpg

sP9v45N.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Those turned out well! Oh I can only imagine how much work that basket weave was! Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!

In this day and time of faster detailed work being done like this with a stamping maching, one determined man with a lot of skill, patience, eye for detail, ....oh my, the list goes on and on, for just what it really takes to be able to produce a piece like this by hand!!! An Artist, Craftsman, whatever you want to call it, for those that have never attempted to do this Basket Weave pattern on a small piece, they will not be able to appreciate everything that goes into being able to produce this kind of quality work!!! I have "tried", several times, actually. I did learn a great deal, but never made anything that would come close to this kind of work!

Absolutley AWESOME!!!!!! The BW pattern looks flawless, the Oak leaf carving looks great, and I especially like the texturing around the Oak Leaves, gives it a finished, proffessional look to it.

One thing I can guarantee you about work like this:
That there are more people that have attempted to do work on this level than there are people that have accomplished work on this level!
The difficulty of it is incredible, the chance for error could happen every time the stamp is repositioned!
Beautiful work! ALMOST, makes me want to hobble out to the shop....almost.
Great job! Looking forward to seeing MORE!!
Rex

Thank you for all the praise. I guess maybe I better be careful or I'll have to start calling myself a leather worker instead of a knife maker! :what!:

Chris

Back