Amateur knife sheath

nukehayes

Hey all. This is my first post on here, and I thought I would share my most recent project. I made my first leather knife sheath for my general purpose bushcraft knife. I know my Gerber Freeman cannot compare to some of the true beauty on this forum, but it gets the job done for me and I won't cry too hard if it gets lost or broken. So without further adieu, here are some pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back side

I used some 8-9oz cow shoulder from knifekits.com (great site) and snooped around on the intraweb to get a basic idea. I made a pattern on paper, transferred it to the leather, and cut it out. I soaked the leather to make it easier to shape and got it around the knife. I used a hot rivet to burn through the leather, I kinda like the look it gives to the edge. I made a thin strip of leather to sandwich between the two main pieces so that the blade wont cut through the stitching, Sorry I don't know the proper terminology. I liked the burned look, so I took the candle I was using to heat the rivet and lightly scorched to edges of the sheath. I used some synthetic animal sinew from Tandy I acquired many years ago and double stitched it up. My first try, but I am pretty proud of myself. What do yall think? I'm always open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Thanks.

Clearly you are a craftsman in both steel and leather. Keep it up... Look at more photos, cut more leather, buy more tools and supplies, buy more leather... and then repeat the process ;) Some of us take years to get reasonable fit and form.. you seem to have a natural eye for form and skill in execution.

In looking at the belt loop, I might suggest extending the leather an inch or so, use a leather needle and instead of a straight line, stitch a box or similar pattern. Belt loops take a lot of abuse on scabbards that people actually wear and use.

Consider building your own stitching pony... I'm long over due myself. they are not that hard and sure save the fingers not to mention quality of work is improved depending on your stitching technique.

I was just looking on the Tandy website and found what I love for stitching is their 4-1 awl set and they have a video on how to use it. Good luck

Back