AEB-L for a hunting knife

KDX

I'll be venturing into stainless steels in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if AEB-L would make a good hunting knife or if I should be looking at something else. Initially I will be trying some of the thinner stock for paring knives.

ABE-L will work very well for hunting knives. It is a real flesh cutting type of steel that is relatively easy to resharpen . It is not a bone chopper.Frank

I have made several hunting knives using AEB-L and absolutely love it. The knife I am presently using for hunting is a full flat grind and stropped to a razor like edge. So far I have used it on 2 deer, everything from gutting to end processing and I have yet to even have to strop it yet. Holds a very good edge especially for making delicate cuts.
I like it so much that I hope they get some more of the 4" wide material back in stock so I can make more knives with it.

Rob

Go drop $15 on a carbon steel Mora, check it out and then realize that AEB-L is that steel's slightly better cousin and you don't have to worry so much about hitting a price point of less than $1 per blade in the heat treat. :3: i seem to recall that AEB-L, along with 52100 were Verhoeven's "perfect" simple knife steels.

Back