? about being published in a magazine

Justin King

Is it customary, when published in a knife magazine, for the knives reviewed to be kept by the writer/editor? Is there an unspoken rule or common gratuity in the industry concerning this?

Is it customary, when published in a knife magazine, for the knives reviewed to be kept by the writer/editor? Is there an unspoken rule or common gratuity in the industry concerning this?

I have not experience with this but I truly hope it isn't a custom.

A few years back, I heard of one maker whose sword was subjected to destructive testing - without his permission - by a (magazine? documentary?) he had submitted it to. I can't speak to this story much, because I've only heard one side, but if I was submitting a knife to a magazine, I would not be counting on getting it back. ( but I would hope to get it back unless I offered it as thanks )

Also, beware the "e-zine".

Justin,
In my limited experience, Yes!
I had a couple of my culinary knives reviewed in a magazine about 10 years ago and I talked with the editor on the phone and told him that I was giving the knives to him for testing and review in a article in his mag.

The amount of advertising you are receiving for any write up far exceeds the value of your knife. The Writer/Editor saying they like your knife is in a different league than you buying advertising in the same mag! If you want it back? Make sure that there is a clear understanding of this before you send them to who every you are dealing with?

The problem with unwritten rules is that no one has written them down!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Justin,
If you want it back? Make sure that there is a clear understanding of this before you send them to who every you are dealing with?

www.rhinoknives.com

This is probably the most useful thing that can be said on the subject, I was just wondering if there was an established custom concerning this that I was unaware of. The obvious and proper answer is that expectations, and the responsibilities that pertain to them, rest upon the individual(s) involved, in the absence of any prior agreement. I appreciate the responses.

NO! I've been at this for a LONG time, and the only individuals who have kept knives submitted for articles were scammers. There are a number of different ploys, but one of them goes something like....... "If your willing to send/donate a knife, I will do a very nice article on it." BOLOGNA!! The only "unwritten rule" that I am aware of is that the knife is returned to the maker unless other arrangements have been made.

Thanks again for the replies. My question wasn't rhetorical but I don't wish to go into details, the matter is being handled and that's about all I'm comfortable sharing publicly. I will only suggest for anyone reading this who sends knives for review by a publication to make clear at the time whether they expect the knives to be returned or not. This would have been helpful in my case.

Thanks again for the replies. My question wasn't rhetorical but I don't wish to go into details, the matter is being handled and that's about all I'm comfortable sharing publicly. I will only suggest for anyone reading this who sends knives for review by a publication to make clear at the time whether they expect the knives to be returned or not. This would have been helpful in my case.

good advice and I really appreciate your discretion posting here.
t

I got approached by 3 different magazines and one e-zine about articles and all of them were going to return the knives after the article was written. All 4 wanted me to take down my FAQ page which is a bit... Different from most. I told each of them I don't change anything for anyone and that was that.

The point being all four were going to return the knives after. There should never be any mention of donating a knife for testing, or of you not getting them back. That's scammy stuff right there. Also be on the lookout for people contacting you saying they run a blah, blah, blah review site and they can squeeze you in for a review if you GIVE them a knife. Check the site out because its probably had 4 visitors in the last 6 months and three of those were their friends.

The writer should never assume that he can keep the knife. I don't work this way and wouldn't like to think any field editor would. I always give the maker the choice of returning the knife to him or he can give it to a soldier going overseas.
Always contact the author and make sure he understands that the knife is to be returned. if they don't agree, I wouldn't send the knife.

Back