a vintage folding knife i would like to know more about ~1850-1900

R

Radegi

Hi knifedogs :)

I would like to share my "first knife love" with you and would be happy
on any comments, suggestions or hints.

i am specifically interested in finding answers to the following questions.
WHO made it? WHERE was it made? WHEN was it made?

This folding knife/multitool was covered with dirt on the bottom of a
box full with scrap metall. i bought it for a few pennies and had a
big suprise waiting for me when i had it cleaned up and was finally
able to take a look at the many fancy features.

Origin: found at a flea market

Information from Dorotheum Militaria maybe a knife blacksmiths masterpiece
Date of manufacturing: ~1850-~1900

No markings on any blade or handle. (no letters, symbols, nothing)

Length: 78mm
Widest width: 21mm
Smallest width: 10mm
Height: 16mm

Knife handle: tortoise shell (hawksbill sea turtle, ~0,5m2 missing)

Main blade length: 56mm
Half length blade: 34mm
Small blade: 26mm

Saw: 52mm
Scissors
Piercer: 57mm
Small Piercer
Corkscrew
Changeable clock key
File (3/5 left, the rest is missing)
Shoe lace hook
Toothpick made from tortoise shell (2/3 left, handle broken)
Ear cleaning spoon with tweezers made from a alloy with silver

thanks for any comments :)
Radegi

a view photos:

unfolded01.jpgshowlace01.jpg
scissors01.jpgsaw01.jpgpiercer01.jpgmiddleblade.jpgmainblade.jpgclockkey01.jpgbrokenend01.jpgsmallblade.jpg

My guess would be that it is of German MFG. They started the first designs of what we call a Swiss Army knife these days.

The Germans made the Swiss army knife for a number of years until the Swiss woke up and said, Hey? We could make those in our Country for our Military.

Other than thinking it's of a German maker/Factory? I really can't say more than that.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,
If it's German, wouldn't it be marked 'Solingen"? And I'm pretty sure the toothpick there was a Swiss idea, (I'm guessing, I do no tknow for sure) my guess is it's Swiss. But it is only a guess, heck, it could possibly be a handmade from a VERY talented maker! Are there any marking on it anywhere? The tortoise shell handle makes it a little more difficult to say it was made by the Swiss Army Knife people. I can't recall any custome work they've done, ever. They have a very simple business plan, 'make a solid working knife and make lots of them!' Hard to argue with that!

Radegi, if you do find out any real info, I would be interested to learn about it, just post it here, Rex

A rare find indeed. I would guess English made. Many of the unmarked ones are valuable but I,m not an expert. Over on Bladeforums there is a traditional forum that may be very helpful.

Laurence,
If it's German, wouldn't it be marked 'Solingen"? And I'm pretty sure the toothpick there was a Swiss idea, (I'm guessing, I do no tknow for sure) my guess is it's Swiss. But it is only a guess, heck, it could possibly be a handmade from a VERY talented maker! Are there any marking on it anywhere? The tortoise shell handle makes it a little more difficult to say it was made by the Swiss Army Knife people. I can't recall any custome work they've done, ever. They have a very simple business plan, 'make a solid working knife and make lots of them!' Hard to argue with that!

Radegi, if you do find out any real info, I would be interested to learn about it, just post it here, Rex

Rex,
Solingen is just the name of a town were most but not all of the knife making goes on in Germany.

Bruce may be on to something with the British idea? Hard to tell, and even harder over the net.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

this knife would have came from the the swiss army group era. victorienox, wanger, and a bunch of small swiss cutlery's companies banded together to produce a swiss made army knife. this knife was what ended up being the classic mod.soon every one drop ed out except victorianox and wanger the only two brands marked with the crossbow . this knife is just a cutler showing his skills, outstanding ones at that. remember the Victorian era was the time of gadgets. very good find, way to go

Back