a seax

GHEzell

I just finished this one up last week, I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Yyg062.jpg

Yyg063.jpg

A bit bigger than it looks, overall length is just over 13 inches with a 6 inch handle. The blade is 1095, with a twist of 1080 and 15n20. The handle is masur birch.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice work- looked up Seax's and it was a EDC if you lived in 5th century England...and carried horizontally....guess they didn't screw around back then....

Thanks guys!

Hey George,
You seem to be liking these. It's a beauty. Wade

Obsessed might be a better word...:rolleyes:
It all started when I saw one of the original blades and thought, wow, a 10th century bowie... then trying to find out what the original handles looked like... I still cannot say for sure, not one survived, but I think I may be close, at least. It looks like a simple way to make a knife, until you try it... it is quick, but not simple, to make a knife with no guard... I enjoy the challenge of it, the simplicity of it, and the sheer practicality of it.

Thanks again!

Really nice. I like the overall flow, the blade steel and quench combo and the beautiful handle wood. (BTW: I'm not generally a fan of edge quenching but the hardening line just goes really well with the damascus spine in this one.)

Back