A NEW Norton Norax belt that you might want to try...

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
About 4 months ago, Scott at Tru-Grit sent me a sample belt to try.....It's a Norton Norax, but a new type of Norax....this one has a belt number of U936. Scott sent me a single 120 grit. Normally I don't say much about the samples he sends, and only report back to him, but this one is too good not to tell everyone.

Keep in mind that I received this belt nearly 4 months ago....and it's still going!!! I use 120 belts for pre and post heat treated grinding, and this belt has done it all, and just keeps going! I'm not sure exactly what it's composition is, all I know is that it has been the longest lasting belt I have EVER used. Tru-Grit just recently got a shipment of these belts in 120 grit...so if you'd like to give them a try, I'd suggest you order a couple from Tru-Grit before they are all gone.

Now, the price is gona make you cringe..... $9.80 per belt, but in my opinion they are worth every penny. I just received an order of 1/2 dozen, and I don't expect to have to buy any more 120 belts for a LONG time. Based on what the first one did, 6 of these should last me 9-12 months!
I asked Scott what the grit ranges ran, and he told me that right now all he has is 120 grit in stock, but he thinks that they go as coarse as 80, and I didn't ask how fine they went. Based on how the 120s have preformed, I'd like to get my hands on some in 400 grit.

Just thought I would share!

Also, I think it was here on the forums that someone posted about a new Norton belt.... "Blue" something? That is suppose to out perform the Blaze belts?? If anybody has any info on those....I'm all ears!

From what I understand, they are Norton Blue Fire R877 X weight. They are not neccesarily better than Blaze, but they are very very good for the price point. They are still Zirconia Alumina, which traditionally Ceramics outperform. I would like to try this new Norax. Tracy can you get those new Norax?
-John

I wish I'd have heard of that U936 Norax earlier. I had a lunch meeting with my Norton rep just this last Monday. I'll ask him to get me set up to order these.

The new Bluefire's are a premium Zirc with improved coating resin (stuff won't fly off it as easy). They won't outperform a Blaze ceramic but they will outperform a typical zirc belt. The same voodoo ingredient that is in Blaze that makes them better than other ceramics was added to these Bluefire belts. I have the entire line on order but it will take several weeks. These are all made to order. I learned there are 2 versions of this belt. One version has a double layer of abrasive and resin. I ordered the better version.

i use the Norax x100,45 and 16.i did not realise there were coarser belts.sounds good.
i posted about the BluFireBelts,unfrtunately i've never tried them.don't know when i'll get my samples.
BossDog,what's the serial no of the Blues that you ordered?

Last edited:
Are these like "Gators" except made by norton with SG ceramic?

No, in my opinion they are nothing like "Gators". I think the Gators are good belts, but they have some drawbacks that make me use them only for specific purposes.

Harm: These U936 belts are totally different than the standard Norax belt, which is a #U254.

yeah Ed,i just had the Norton rep here [wonder of wonders:biggrin:] and seems we [in S Africa] won't be getting the U936 belts.or the BlueFires.
are the U936 120's called 120 or are they X-something?

The grit size is described as "X100", which equals 150 grit.

I also want every to know that I was mistaken on the grit of these belts! They are a 150 grit, and NOT 120. When I was cross referencing, I looked at the wrong column!

Last edited:
now i hear you!
X100 in the 254 is not very aggressive,that U936 must be some belt.but you've said that already:35:

I looked around trying to find a few of these to try with no luck. I checked out Norton's webpage and they are listing three grits which will be available: X200 (P80), X100 (P150) and X65(P220). After reading the write up on Norton's site I'd like to give a few of the a go, but I can't find them available on Tru Grit's site.

I talked to Scott at Tru-Grit yesterday.....the only ones they have are the X100s.....and he just got them in this week. I doubt they will appear on the website until the become a "regular" item.

I have been using the norton norax belts pretty much since I started making knives. the new u936 I will be ordering soon they are a ceramic belts and will outlast other belts up to 5 times as long. I just read Ed s post and will get them from rob if he has them . They sound real good. kellyw

I just tried the Cubitron II So far I have ground to large kitchen blades and 3 hunters and the thing is still cutting strong. :) Im impressed! Dare I say these are as long lasting as a BLAZE!?!?!? Im gona keep grinding on this belt til it stops cutting clean and cool. and will then know for sure if it beats that blaze belt!

I know the other one that was a cubitron 976 or something like that, I cant remember the numbers. Was to me a disappointment. and didnt out cut or even come close to out lasting the orange belt! Sry, didnt mean to derail the thread. Im just happy to find another belt that preforms well in lm testing..

Thanks for the info guys, I cant wait to try this U-936. Does Boss have them yet?

Last edited:
Funny? I just used some samples of these U936 from our own Rob at Ca. supplies.

Here is my PM to him with a report.

Rob,
I put these through their paces today on a stack of 12 blades.
6 that were getting cleaned up from HT. And 6 That were getting ready for HT.

Tang flats & Convex ground blades both.

X200 for being a 75G it really doesn't do anything that a 3M Regalite 120G doesn't do better!
X100 For being a 150G it seems about a match to a $5.00 3m Orange back 220G "Recently released belt"

X65 220X I have used these before and they do produce a decent Satin finish.

X30 320G is available here in the states and they are a 320G I've used these for Satin finish work and they are also a decent value.

X15 400G I only used these once and decided to just stop at the X30 for a nice Satin finish.

I hope this helps and I will gladly help you test any other knife maker products that you need a opinion on?

Thanks again.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

NOW THE ONE PART THAT HASN'T BEEN TESTED IS THE LONGEVEITY OF THE BELT.
IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE FINER GRITS DO GIVE A NICE SATIN.

I WILL CONTENIUE TO WORK THEM AND SEE HOW LONG THEY LAST?

LAURENCE

WWW.RHINOKNIVES.COM

I quit using the Norton orange belts and am very happy with the 60 grit 3M cubitron II belts.

ernie

I've been using them and love them enough that we're stocking them. Order hopefully arriving any day now. (ordered a few weeks back). Don't throw out your BLAZE 36 and 60. But in X200 (75g), X100 (150g) and X65 (~200g) they are a sweet progression. I wasn't aware of the finer grits that Laurence mentioned and I'll be trying to get those too if they are available. What I really love about Norax belts is their consistent performance from fresh to death. Unfortunately, with the aluminum oxide version, death seems to come all too soon. Also, with the a/o ones, they seem to die early if you lean into them. These new ceramic ones will take some pressure without apparent bad effect. We're pretty excited about them.

More info as we get it - and BIG thanks to Laurence for the test and on-going review. :thumbup1:

Rob!

Last edited:
I have been using the U936s.. It's true they are excellent belts. Mine is marked 100 and if its a 120 like I was told, that's okay too. I believe they are about $12- $16 Certainly so far they are already ahead of that in value returned and as Ed said still going . Frank

Back