A new grinder for a rookie maker

bubbyh

Hello everyone, i have recently finished my first grinder and man what a chore! I had alot of fun though. What does everyone think? One question, i have a 1725rpm motor carrying a 5 inch drive wheel. I have 4,3,2 step pulleys and am wondering what the speeds on each pulley would be? Any info would be great thanks!!
5a20b2bcdf0788218f21ef079d5a3c66.jpg
5306f3378aa9f30357974520c9aa40ce.jpg
b7b0f1d474ebe99e568e27f2155ac533.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Looking good. Of course you'll need a knob on that tracking bolt and a bolt in the platen pivot slot. Without that bolt in the slot, the whole thing will move on you when you least expect it, but you probably already know that. You'll probably want a handle on that tension arm too. Is that ceramic on the platen? Have you thought about how/where you'll add a place for a work rest?

Good job! Welds look good. On the belt speeds with a 1725 rpm motor and 5" drive:

2" motor X 4" shaft = 1129
3" motor X 3" shaft = 2250
4" motor X 2" shaft = 4516 SFPM

Now, "IF" you decided for a 4" drive wheel you'd have (in round numbers)

2" motor X 4" shaft = 900
3" motor X 3" shaft = 1800
4" motor X 2" shaft = 3600 SFPM

The 4" drive wheel would be my choice, but you might have the skills to handle those higher speeds - they certainly cut faster.

Ken H>

Looking good. Of course you'll need a knob on that tracking bolt and a bolt in the platen pivot slot. Without that bolt in the slot, the whole thing will move on you when you least expect it, but you probably already know that. You'll probably want a handle on that tension arm too. Is that ceramic on the platen? Have you thought about how/where you'll add a place for a work rest?
Yeah i have to throw those finishing touches on but i appreciate your interest

I will probably weld a seperate tube maybe on the side for my tool rest? I havent thought much on it. Any suggestions?

Good job! Welds look good. On the belt speeds with a 1725 rpm motor and 5" drive:

2" motor X 4" shaft = 1129
3" motor X 3" shaft = 2250
4" motor X 2" shaft = 4516 SFPM

Now, "IF" you decided for a 4" drive wheel you'd have (in round numbers)

2" motor X 4" shaft = 900
3" motor X 3" shaft = 1800
4" motor X 2" shaft = 3600 SFPM

The 4" drive wheel would be my choice, but you might have the skills to handle those higher speeds - they certainly cut faster.

Ken H>
Thanks ken, very helpful. I will probably order a 4 inch as i am still getting my basics down. Thanks again

I will probably weld a seperate tube maybe on the side for my tool rest? I havent thought much on it. Any suggestions?

I built my grinder too, and I'm already thinking about building a second one. One of the main reasons I'm thinking about another is rigidity, but the tool rest is a close second. My advice is mainly to try and keep the mount as close as you can to the wheel. If you weld another tube on the left side of the uprights, you're getting farther away and the cantilever will let your tool rest flex. Your main tool arm tube is probably too thin to tap a mount on, so if it were me, I'd probably weld my tool rest tube right underneath the main tube. You wouldn't have tons of travel, but you really don't need that much anyway. Just think "solid" when making it. Keep us posted.

I built my grinder too, and I'm already thinking about building a second one. One of the main reasons I'm thinking about another is rigidity, but the tool rest is a close second. My advice is mainly to try and keep the mount as close as you can to the wheel. If you weld another tube on the left side of the uprights, you're getting farther away and the cantilever will let your tool rest flex. Your main tool arm tube is probably too thin to tap a mount on, so if it were me, I'd probably weld my tool rest tube right underneath the main tube. You wouldn't have tons of travel, but you really don't need that much anyway. Just think "solid" when making it. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the help man. I think i will mount it under the main tube. I have a bit of a wobble of the belt right now but i believe its my drive belt. I bought it from tsc and got it home and on before i realized what was goin on!! Needless to say i have to take it back cause its not a perfect "v" it has a odd shape to it and i think thats whats doing it. Ill let u know my progress

Back