A Christmas present

Jason Volkert

I am working on a small hidden tang knife. This is the first knife I am making for somebody. All my past knifes that I have made were all practice knives that I did destruction testing on to see if I could make a knife that is nice to look at but more importantly that it was functional. So I am making this for my father for Christmas.

This is the first time I am making a hidden tang knife. This 1075 from Aldo. I am also going to attempt a hamon for the first time. o_O

I have the blade up to a 220 grit lengthwise finish. I am about to clean it and put some clay on it and heat treat it tonight when it is dark out. I will post a few pics of what I have so far. Any feedback back is welcome. Thanks for looking
o_O

Attachments

• Knife1.jpg
    Knife1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Knife2.jpg
    Knife2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks great - I'm anxious to see how your hamon comes out. I heat treated a blade this weekend (1095) and am hoping for a nice hamon this time. Will find out once i polish and etch I guess!
-andy

Looks great - I'm anxious to see how your hamon comes out. I heat treated a blade this weekend (1095) and am hoping for a nice hamon this time. Will find out once i polish and etch I guess!
-andy
I believe it is possible to get a quick view if you hit it on a grinder real quick and etch it real quick

Back