2019 KITH Special Edition Sign up

Chris Railey

This year it has been suggested that we do KITH a little different. The event is open to all skill levels equally and it will still be maker's choice (which knife to make). The difference here is that a Bowie challenge has been issued. Those who wish to accept the challenge will make bowies for their KITH. Those who do not like making bowies can choose a different style knife. Everything else remains the same.
The "rules are: 1). No matter the knife you choose do your best work (it is understood by all who participate that "best work" WILL vary by maker and that is OK). 2). Quality materials must be used, no "super tough A36 steel" blades allowed. 3). Knives should include a quality sheath if applicable and sayas are encouraged for kitchen knives. Folders do not require a sheath. 4). Post pics of your progress (WIP if you wish). 5). Most importantly, be receptive to constructive feedback from the recipient of your knife. This is an excellent chance to grow your skills and knowledge and that is why all of us are here.
If you have never made a Bowie this will be an excellent chance to do so because so many of us will be making them at the same time we can share tips, tricks and answers to help everyone. Deadline for entry will be September 1, 2019. Mailing deadline will be December 9, 2019. Did I forget anything??
I have the following people signed up already:

Chris Railey
Opaul
Daniel Macina
BJmac
Luciusx5
Sean Jones
Kevin Zito (and he is bringing the heat)
Kev
GeneK
tkroeniein
SmallShop
Justin W
Jason Volkert

Last edited:
I'm going to have to remove myself from the list. I've kind of over committed myself going into the fall. I'll re-assess before the September entry deadline to see where I stand, and may throw my hat back in.

We have an odd number of participants unless one more signs up before Sunday. I guess someone will have to make two knives??? I will volunteer to make two knives unless someone else would prefer to make two. Or, unless someone comes up with a better solution...

We have an odd number of participants unless one more signs up before Sunday. I guess someone will have to make two knives??? I will volunteer to make two knives unless someone else would prefer to make two. Or, unless someone comes up with a better solution...
I can make two but they won't be Bowies or instead of two makers swapping with each other couldn't we just do a traditional drawing?

Randy if you wish to do two that is fine I will be your back-up in case you get busy or something happens. We can draw however you guys want to, since we always do a “normal draw” I was just trying something different.

I have the 2 bowies out of 1/8" 1095 that are at the same stage as the KITH bowie. If nobody is apposed to getting one of those, I could finish one for another KITH knife.

Anything you guys decide is good with me. If Gene wants to add another Bowie or y’all want me to two I’m game. I’ll help in any way I can, just let me know.

Back