1084 Hamon

opaul

KNIFE MAKER
I finished sanding the blade this morning and decided to see if the Hamon would show. I clayed the spine before I quenched yesterday and it wasn't pronounced as it had been with 1095 so I was surprised when the etching revealed this Hamon line. This is one 10 second dip in the acid followed by hand rubbing and hand polishing with fine stropping compound. What do you think! I only cut my self twice this morning on this blade.

I have attempted many hamons in 1084 and they show up but rarely that nicely well done. What acid did you use ferric chloride? I etch mine longer than 10 seconds maybe I will try ten.
Thanks Chris. I was surprised myself based on what I have read about 1084. Like I said - the Hamon pattern after grinding the scale off after quenching wasn’t as pronounced as it had been with 1095 so I wasn’t expecting much. I use ferric chloride (~4/1 ratio). I hand sanded to 1000 grit and went over the blade with a grey scotch brite pad. Washed it with hot water followed by a Dawn dishwashing cleaning. Rinsed with hot water and then straight to the acid dip.
The 1084 came from Alpha Knife Supply.

Back