Question about 3ph motor (pictures!)

Hey guys,

I am obviously not an electrical engineer so I thought I'd bring this question to you guys to see if it's even worth pursuing. I have an opportunity to buy a 1hp 3ph motor with what appears to be a built in VFD. It was used on a printing and graphics machine. Looks like it would be awesome if I can get it to work. I know I'd need a phase converter, but this motor is 380-460v input. Would this phase converter work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-Hp-Static-Phase-Converter-Mill-Drill-Lathe-/191050501083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7b7f4bdb

Here are photos of the motor:

00B0B_k8zo0k0sb9z_600x450.jpg00I0I_5ef2MqHiQRn_600x450.jpg00V0V_8NEuuCrqjn0_600x450.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

Gavin

the volts are 380-460 to the motor. What is the input voltage needed for the vfd?

Unless the price of the motor/VFD combo is free, then the cost of a phase converter that will take 220vac with 460vac output is going to make this pretty expensive. You can buy a new 1hp, 3 ph motor AND a good VFD that will run from 120VAC for less than $300 - that's what I did for my lathe.

Ken H>

Tracy, it looks to be an all in one unit. I would think the one power source would run it all. I take it that the phase converter that I linked will not work with this motor? If it hasn't been sold, I can get the motor with the VFD for $35.

Gavin

What is the input voltage and output voltage of the phase converter? You will need a phase converter that will take single phase 220 and change it to 3ph 460 volt to drive the motor. AND - you need to confirm the motor speed varies based on the input 380 to 460 volts, - just how does it work?

This is a speciality motor, and it's hard to tell exactly how it works.

Ken H>

Yep, I saw that image, but wasn't sure what the 400v, 3ph meant - input? Output? General range?

12345678910, that's what I was thinking. I'm not an electrician so I wasn't positive what the input needed to be and thought I should ask just to be certain. Heck, most of the used 3ph motors I find are cheap, even the 220v models, because most people don't know what to do with them. I also have access to a 1hp Emerson/US Motors Hazardous location motor. It's a 208/230-460v input, 60hz, 1750rpm. New, never used for $40. There are two available. This, coupled with the phase converter above would get me a working 3ph, 1hp motor that I could use as a disk grinder and could be used with a VFD later down the road, right?

00i0i_jREbhOOFP2i_600x450.jpg

I was looking to save some money and come up with an economical way to be able to grind, but that VFD is cheap enough that it doesn't sense to go the phase converter route. Thanks Ken, I think I'll shoot for one of those and the $40 1hp 3ph motor. If I pick up one of the 9" disks for around $90 and I could have a great disk grinder for around $285.

That should work like a champ and make a good disk grinder. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Ken H>

Back