Mini Lathe - Good deal?

Sean Jones

This is for sale locally for $300.00 Everything that's in the photo is included. Opinions?

And here is his description "Mini Lathe with all the accessories shown in the photos. Metal change gears, not plastic like the other makers. Quick change tool post. Bed cover protection. Carbide insert tooling."

I'd say it's a good deal - it's already got the Quick Change tool post added and a full set of insert holders. Variable speed it looks like. The lathe itself is perhaps in the $400 to $600 range, then the extra tooling. Go for it - you'll be surprised at all the uses you'll find for it

This is for sale locally for $300.00 Everything that's in the photo is included. Opinions?

And here is his description "Mini Lathe with all the accessories shown in the photos. Metal change gears, not plastic like the other makers. Quick change tool post. Bed cover protection. Carbide insert tooling."
For $300 it's a great deal! It looks like a Harbor Freight machine. New there 6-700 bucks. Not a fantastic machine but unless your doing Government work should do what you need to get done!

Sean, just as a follow-up comment - that size and style lathe is mostly suitable for cutting softer material like brass, aluminum, wood, and small steel pieces, without much repeatable precision. There just isn't enough strength in the lathe bed (ways) to handle heavier material. However, for the asking price that would have been a worthwhile purchase, just to see what it can do.

If you are interested in a "real" lathe, shop KSL or Craigslist and look for an old, well-cared for, 9-10" Logan or South Bend lathe. These will routinely sell in the sub-$1000 range depending on tooling. I have a 1950ish 9" Logan that is a perfect hobbyists machine. I first learned to used this lathe when I was a teenager, and it has cut a lot of metal since then.

Here is a good used 6" lathe, outside your area, but an example of a very useful lathe. Craftsman (often with a Wards label) sold a lot of lathes back in the day. These lathes were mostly made by Logan or South Bend.
1714663304782.png

Here's another example, much like the lathe I have. The price is higher due to the amount of tooling.

1714663536940.png

Thanks Bob. I've been looking for a metal lathe off and on for some time now. That Craftsman is a nice looking lathe. And somewhat in my price range. Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking.

Sean, here are some brief comments:
Pluses:
  • Seems to be in reasonable shape, relatively clean
  • The Aloris style (OxA brand) quick change tool holder is helpful, has multiple attachments
  • The four jaw scroll chuck looks good, Harlingen is a known brand
  • The four jaw independent chuck can come in handy
  • Price seems a bit high, though the tooling and scroll chuck will bring the price up.
Minuses:
  • This is a lightweight lathe. It does not appear to be one of Logan or Southbend models that were sold by Wards under the Craftsman label (see my earlier postings).
  • The fact that the seller put in a solid spindle to cut steel tells me that the lathe would be marginal for any serious cutting on steel. (it may be OK for brass or aluminum)
  • Not having a hollow (through) spindle limits the length of stock that can be put in the chuck - big negative.
  • I assume the gears are for thread cutting. But they are apparently made of plastic which, to me, is unacceptable.
  • The drive motor / pulley arrangement is not shown, so it's hard to tell what condition those are in.
  • The bed is short - looks like perhaps 24" between centers
  • The crossfeed handle appears to be broken
Again, it comes down to your intended use. You might ask to see the lathe in operation and have the seller cut a piece of steel and see how it performs. You could also as for the Craftsman model number and do a search for similar models.

Sean, here are some brief comments:
Pluses:
  • Seems to be in reasonable shape, relatively clean
  • The Aloris style (OxA brand) quick change tool holder is helpful, has multiple attachments
  • The four jaw scroll chuck looks good, Harlingen is a known brand
  • The four jaw independent chuck can come in handy
  • Price seems a bit high, though the tooling and scroll chuck will bring the price up.
Minuses:
  • This is a lightweight lathe. It does not appear to be one of Logan or Southbend models that were sold by Wards under the Craftsman label (see my earlier postings).
  • The fact that the seller put in a solid spindle to cut steel tells me that the lathe would be marginal for any serious cutting on steel. (it may be OK for brass or aluminum)
  • Not having a hollow (through) spindle limits the length of stock that can be put in the chuck - big negative.
  • I assume the gears are for thread cutting. But they are apparently made of plastic which, to me, is unacceptable.
  • The drive motor / pulley arrangement is not shown, so it's hard to tell what condition those are in.
  • The bed is short - looks like perhaps 24" between centers
  • The crossfeed handle appears to be broken
Again, it comes down to your intended use. You might ask to see the lathe in operation and have the seller cut a piece of steel and see how it performs. You could also as for the Craftsman model number and do a search for similar models.
Thanks for your input Bob. It does seem a bit overpriced. And also a bit lightweight for what I want to do. I would like to start doing some daggers. So as you say, for brass it might be OK. I think I'll keep looking unless he will lower his price by a goodly amount.

Thanks for your input Bob. It does seem a bit overpriced. And also a bit lightweight for what I want to do. I would like to start doing some daggers. So as you say, for brass it might be OK. I think I'll keep looking unless he will lower his price by a goodly amount.
Good plan!

Here we go again! Another one on KSL. I've been looking on and off for months and now they keep popping up
The price is definitely right

I can't see the model number, but I'd say at $500, it's well worth the money. Jump on it before you miss it. Without the model number I couldn't find a manual for that lathe. I did find a manual for the Jet BD-920N 9x20 lathe, but that one is a quick change gear box. Understanding the limitations of a small lathe $500 is a real buy. I've got a 10x22" Grizzly that does 95% of what I want. There have been a few times when I wanted to do larger jobs. BUT - for knifemaking, it's never been too small.

I can't see the model number, but I'd say at $500, it's well worth the money. Jump on it before you miss it. Without the model number I couldn't find a manual for that lathe. I did find a manual for the Jet BD-920N 9x20 lathe, but that one is a quick change gear box. Understanding the limitations of a small lathe $500 is a real buy. I've got a 10x22" Grizzly that does 95% of what I want. There have been a few times when I wanted to do larger jobs. BUT - for knifemaking, it's never been too small.
And it's GONE! I texted him about 10 minutes after he put it up for sale and he already had a list of people that wanted it. Oh well...and the search continues.

Back