I am building a Heat treat oven

Tony I dont want to sound like a copy cat but Im goona make one just like yours so do a good job . I Have talked to alot of people they all say go 220 gives off way more heat and way faster. Kellyw

I would really like 220 I just have 110 in my shop I would like to run my motor on my grinder at 220 it can be wired either way. With the oven looks like to me the parts for 220 and 110 are mostley except for a few interchangeable

I'd suggest getting the SSR output PID instead. Perhaps this one:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

As for SSR, I'd say this one:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9

Your Kanthal wire should pull about 15 amps, so 25 amp SSR should be sufficient. The output of the PID is 12VDC and the SSR responds to a range of DC switch signal from 3-32VDC and is capable of handling 90-480VAC on its output side.

--nathan

Last edited:
O.k so I can buy those 2 and where do you suggest for the kanthal wire. Thanks for your help Nathan.
Anthony

+1 on Nathan's suggestions on the PID and SSR. I'm building a HT oven right now and that's what I am using. I'm using the firebrick out of an old kiln...they already have the grooves for the heating coils. I'm waiting on the Kanthal wire to get here so I can finish.

Larry

Will those components work with 110 and 220 and does the kanthal wire need to be different for 110 -220 I'm pretty sure i'm about to run 220 anyway but I dont have it now I do now my breakers are 20 amp 110 in my shop.

You can buy them single or in pairs. How you wire you elements in the oven varies by what power you're supplying. If you want to run 220V, run two elements in series. If you want 110V, run a single element. It will not produce nearly as much heat with a single element and thus longer heating times and probably a lower temp. If you can at all get 220V to the shop, I'd recommend that route. As far as running a single element at 110V or 220V, I don't know what effect that will have at the higher voltage.

--nathan

Check duralite HERE for your elements, they are really helpful folks and have already prewound the elements, just get the one rated for voltage and amperage.

Also, they sell a single 220v element as well, I use the 4000 watt 220v element with mine.

If you have any questions about the elements just call them, they are really nice to deal with.

I decided to go with the 220v. double elements for my HT oven. It's faster and hotter than 110v.

Larry

I decided 220 was the way to go also . No sense in making something half way right. Well everything is ordered just have to build it now
Thanks Anthony

Last edited:
Got the email and printed a hard copy for the future thanks anthony. Ill keep in touch. kellyw

I have two different types of plans one calls for insalwool between the brick and the metal shell. What do you think about the insalwool would it hurt or help the only change would be sizing the shell.

I would use the insalwool if you can, I did not and the shell of my oven gets a little hot when I am running it for a while.

Back