Yuge air compressor

I dunno, but I wondered the same thing. If I get a blasting cabinet, I was thinking of finding an old 1000 gallon propane tank and parking it outside my shop just to use it as a giant air tank so I could use a cheaper compressor. You might be able to do something like that

If you are going to go to the trouble of feeding a blast cabinet, you may as well help justify the cost of your yuge compressor by getting a pneumatic power hammer too.

I think any decent 5HP 2 stage with 60-80 gallon tank should be able to handle a small blast cabinet? Unless you plan on making a HUGE booth to do cars?

You can get a cheap small one from home depot for $100-200, but you will have to blast a bit then wait for it to fill the small tank again before you can continue. It works though

Once again, we’re talking about $1500 compressor for $140 blast cabinet. Understand that I currently own no air tools, nor do I have any intention of buying any.
Ok I just cut a $3700 compressor to better than half of that. I would go by the manufacturers recommendation then. I don't think your gonna find a good quality compressor for less than or around the cost of your blast cabinet unless you get extremely lucky buying a used one. But good luck on your quest.

Ok I just cut a $3700 compressor to better than half of that. I would go by the manufacturers recommendation then. I don't think your gonna find a good quality compressor for less than or around the cost of your blast cabinet unless you get extremely lucky buying a used one. But good luck on your quest.
I appreciate it, but understand that the only time I would use this was for roughing a blades to parkerize them. So I guess I’m just not going to be Parkerizing any blades. But this is kind of the same problem that I ran into when I was looking at power hammers. The self-contained hammers appeared to be more expensive until you calculated how much it would cost you to buy a good compressor to run your utility hammer.

I've parkerized gun parts before without sand blasting them. I then put DuraCoat over the top. So far I haven't had any problems. I know sand blasting is recommended. But if you clean the knife completely I don't think you would have a problem getting the parker coating to adhere. However a knife is going to get more direct abuse to the coating than a gun. So maybe that's why sand blasting is recommended. So your mileage may vary.

I've parkerized gun parts before without sand blasting them. I then put DuraCoat over the top. So far I haven't had any problems. I know sand blasting is recommended. But if you clean the knife completely I don't think you would have a problem getting the parker coating to adhere. However a knife is going to get more direct abuse to the coating than a gun. So maybe that's why sand blasting is recommended. So your mileage may vary.
I am not worried about it sticking. I want the matte finish. Guess it will do rust bluing.

Back