You guys that make knives full time..What did you do in a previous profession?

Awesome testamony Randy Sr.
I cant imagine you even having a drinking problem. Its really cool you give God the credit for a clean life now.

I'm looking forward to our collab folder with Randy Jr.
I use to work in the Glass industry, I was what is known as a Glaser. Basically a fancy make for a guy who works with glass, I specialized in commercial store fronts and high end custom mirror walls and shower enclosures.. Then after a messy divorce and a move, I started working doing Auto glass replacement. and did that for about 5 or 6 years. till I fell on the ice and injured my back. Long and the short of it, The doctors said I couldnt return to doing glass without getting a surgery. Which I was not going to do. So after 3 or 4 doctors I found one that agreed that we should try another option rather then going under the knife.. So a bunch of Physical Therapy later.. And Thank God.. My back is still much better..

At the time I was drinking in excess. to the point where it had become detrimental to having a "normal" life.. Between the drinking and the pain pills from the back injury . I was a MESS!

One day I was on my way to the beer store. I went off the road and hit a rather large tree head on at about 50 mph.. That day was the end of my drinking and the beginning of everything good . Including Knife making. For whatever reason God reached down and put his hand on my shoulder and kept me from being killed in the accident. I mean the car was totaled and the impact was so fierce the motor came through the firewall and floor and was inside the car between the 2 front seats. CRAZY to see that much damage and I walked away virtually unharmed.

I have not had a drink since. and this knife making has been something that keeps my mind and hands occupied. Im totally nuts about it and I thank God, for giving me this obsession and passion for knives. Its helped to keep me sane and sober! 8 years and counting! :D

God Bless YA
Randy

Heck of a story there Randy. My mother was an addict of drugs and alcohol, so I know where you are coming from. I'm glad to hear that you have overcome that and I wish the very best for you :)

Rex a partner in this knife making could be so benifitial for both partys a person who knows forgeing and a maker that uses stock removal . They would sure help each other out and learn alot from one another. We dont have anyone around here that even makes knives so im up the creek in that respect. Kellyw

Kelly,
My ideas, are a lot different than what the "Main Stream" says has to happen as far as a bussiness, or better a partnership. My ideas are very simple, (ya see I'm not a complex guy), for instance, the partnership would combine to make a 'X' number of knives in 'X' styles, offer these for sale, they will be numbered, limited editions, NOT to be made again. Based on the previous years sales and what did well and what didn't, come up with another design that appeals to both past customers and what the buying public, collectors, users want. I won't say mid tech or anything like that right now, that may have to happen when the numbers get higher, but at the beginning I'm thinking like 10 knives. To gauge the response, and see if what we like is in-line with what the public wants. I know if the partnership was to get any kind of size to it, it would have to be put on paper, to protect both parties. I don't think what I have in mind could be detremental to either of the partners. At the worst one might be out of a few materials, BUT the beauty is that both partners would be buying their share of materials EQUALLY. And during the time that there are no partnership deals going on, both makers could resume their personal knife making endeavors. I also think that with the added buying of supplies both makers could realize a substantial reduction in costs by buying in larger quantities, the easiest way to realize a larger profit is by reducing costs of supplies!

I do wish you lived closer, of course down here you'd probably dehydrate during our winters!!!! It was 78 yesterday!!! Our deer are lots smaller too...., because they have NO BODY FAT! And with 1buck a day bag limit, and in some areas of over population, a buck and a doe a day, it just isn't as fun when you have to keep up with tags!:biggrin:

Rex a partner in this knife making could be so benifitial for both partys a person who knows forgeing and a maker that uses stock removal . They would sure help each other out and learn alot from one another. We dont have anyone around here that even makes knives so im up the creek in that respect. Kellyw

Kelly,
My ideas, are a lot different than what the "Main Stream" says has to happen as far as a bussiness, or better a partnership. My ideas are very simple, (ya see I'm not a complex guy), for instance, the partnership would combine to make a 'X' number of knives in 'X' styles, offer these for sale, they will be numbered, limited editions, NOT to be made again. Based on the previous years sales and what did well and what didn't, come up with another design that appeals to both past customers and what the buying public, collectors, users want. I won't say mid tech or anything like that right now, that may have to happen when the numbers get higher, but at the beginning I'm thinking like 10 knives. To gauge the response, and see if what we like is in-line with what the public wants. I know if the partnership was to get any kind of size to it, it would have to be put on paper, to protect both parties. I don't think what I have in mind could be detremental to either of the partners. At the worst one might be out of a few materials, BUT the beauty is that both partners would be buying their share of materials EQUALLY. And during the time that there are no partnership deals going on, both makers could resume their personal knife making endeavors. I also think that with the added buying of supplies both makers could realize a substantial reduction in costs by buying in larger quantities, the easiest way to realize a larger profit is by reducing costs of supplies!

I do wish you lived closer, of course down here you'd probably dehydrate during our winters!!!! It was 78 yesterday!!! Our deer are lots smaller too...., because they have NO BODY FAT! And with 1buck a day bag limit, and in some areas of over population, a buck and a doe a day, it just isn't as fun when you have to keep up with tags!:biggrin:

You never know what you'll find until you start looking, I would love to find someone close by that would be interested in a partnership, to give it a shot once or twice, or maybe just to collaborate on a one blade, or at least a pair, maybe a fixed and matching folder set. that would be so cool!!! Thanks Bud, and if you want to come down and thaw out, give me a holler, Rex

I started making knives in 1988 as a hobby. I was working for a company that did titanium nitride coatings and vacuum heat treating. I actually used to heat treat for several big name makers back in the 90's. When the company I was working for was sold and moved out of the country I went to work for one of our customers building competetion pistols. In september 1997 I left that job and started making knives full time. The development of my thrust bearing pivot and double action autos got a lot of attention and the orders came as a result. For me the key to sucess in the beginning was to target the D/A market since there were very few makers producing quality knives that worked as good as they looked. I learned long ago that the trick to making a million dollars in this business is to start with two million!

Larry Chew

I use to work in the Glass industry, I was what is known as a Glaser. Basically a fancy make for a guy who works with glass, I specialized in commercial store fronts and high end custom mirror walls and shower enclosures.. Then after a messy divorce and a move, I started working doing Auto glass replacement. and did that for about 5 or 6 years. till I fell on the ice and injured my back. Long and the short of it, The doctors said I couldnt return to doing glass without getting a surgery. Which I was not going to do. So after 3 or 4 doctors I found one that agreed that we should try another option rather then going under the knife.. So a bunch of Physical Therapy later.. And Thank God.. My back is still much better..

At the time I was drinking in excess. to the point where it had become detrimental to having a "normal" life.. Between the drinking and the pain pills from the back injury . I was a MESS!

One day I was on my way to the beer store. I went off the road and hit a rather large tree head on at about 50 mph.. That day was the end of my drinking and the beginning of everything good . Including Knife making. For whatever reason God reached down and put his hand on my shoulder and kept me from being killed in the accident. I mean the car was totaled and the impact was so fierce the motor came through the firewall and floor and was inside the car between the 2 front seats. CRAZY to see that much damage and I walked away virtually unharmed.

I have not had a drink since. and this knife making has been something that keeps my mind and hands occupied. Im totally nuts about it and I thank God, for giving me this obsession and passion for knives. Its helped to keep me sane and sober! 8 years and counting! :D

God Bless YA
Randy

That's a GREAT Testimony Randy! God sure must have some special plans for you! Shucks, he even sent you some rocks from Heaven to mess with!

Keep up the great work Bro, love your stuff!

there is alot to keep up with when you go full time, being your own boss can be a real let down. you find out how many people you really work for. your supplyers, power company,clients, it can be a real strain on a artistic mind. i have seen alot of very good makers go under because they couldn't say "no" . booze, drugs, health and family problems just add to the mix. Randy 8 years good show!, it is very hard some times. my self i have just made 22 very lone years sober, some much longer than others. these are things that you need to keep in mind before you go full time. that's my 2 cents

there is alot to keep up with when you go full time, being your own boss can be a real let down. you find out how many people you really work for. your supplyers, power company,clients, it can be a real strain on a artistic mind. i have seen alot of very good makers go under because they couldn't say "no" . booze, drugs, health and family problems just add to the mix. Randy 8 years good show!, it is very hard some times. my self i have just made 22 very lone years sober, some much longer than others. these are things that you need to keep in mind before you go full time. that's my 2 cents

Gary does bring up a great point, the other side of being self employed and doing it the way it is supposed to be done, meaning getting a business license, paying taxes, and you are responsible for your own Social Security, which means you have to pay what you would normally PLUS the Employers matching contribution, which means you are paying double. Lets not forget Liability insurance and while speaking of insurance if the ever comes a need for personal health insurance and you get employees it's one of those things that will have to addressed. I'm not saying being your own boss isn't liberating, I'm agreeing with Gary that there is a lot more to it that can bust a bubble in a second, not to mention the fact that if you don't sell, eating becomes difficult.

With these thoughts in mind, it is still yet another great reason a partnership can work to benefit both sides, in the sharing of expenses, and probably the best part is that where one side might be better at one aspect of business, the other, hopefully, can fill in the weaknesses. Come up with a game plan and execute it, both involved should have a other forms of income, or a nest egg so they won't have to live off the business until it is established well enough to keep stock moving and maybe a back log of orders. That's why so many get started part time, doing what they can while they can. For me, if nothing, I will be a full time maker once I retire from my "real Job", and I will more than likely have to have another form of income, to subsidize the reduction in pay.

Once I get my style and skill better, more refined, and I start selling more often, I'll be socking away a % of that for the possibility that I could retire sooner, or I may put that toward the new house we're building to pay it off sooner, that would be a huge step in the right direction, toward having enough to keep the family fed. Just a few more of
my thoughts on this amazing business, and if I never find my partner, maybe someone else can think this idea is worth a try and make some stuff we've never seen before. A fresh shot of inspiration is always good!!! Rex

Gary, Congrats on your sobriety!

Its been easy for me yo not drink and the years have flew by!!
I may be the exception rather then the rule. Heres what works for me..
I just GAVE it all to God. The business, the house and its payment. the food pantry, etc..etc..etc..etc... And its been flowing smoother then "I" could of or ever did run it! lol Dont get me wrong, there are times I stress a little. Because I dont see the big picture. But EVERY TIME. without exception.. Things work out better then I could of ever made them if I spent 100s of hours trying! lolo :)

Hang in there and God Bless you Dog's!! Merry Christmas from HHH Knives

Retired military, I use knifemaking to support my shooting habit. Keeps me busy and out of trouble(kinda). Knifemaking has opened many other doors,writing,prototyping,testing new products. Its amazing how a few knives can open doors. Besides I've met a whole lot of very intresting people and grow in friendship every day. Being a craftsman is hard work but the end results are worth every effort.
Do your business in small bites and always put money back into it.
Just keep making knives!

i was a mason contractor for 30 years and a bricklayer a total of 50 years
v-6

Retired from a Community College after 32+ years in Technical Education. Taught Collision Repair for the first 22-or-so years, then spent the last 10-or-so as Assistant Dean (Hated that part, but it paid good).

Started getting serious about knife making about 3 years before I retired. Been at it full-time since Jan '07.

Actually made my first knife when I was about 12 (that was almost 53 years ago). I had no clue what I was doing, but I continued making a few over the years (including a 7+ year stint in the Air Force back in the 60's-70's).

Still don't have much of a clue, but know a little more than I did when I was 12. :)

Robert

I was a professional photographer until I got fed up with the traveling and being away from my, now, 5 year old son for most of the year. My wife owns a design and advertising company which allowed me to get my company started. Now it is a way more than full time gig. I generally work 6 to 7 days a week from sun up to sundown just to keep up.

Been awhile since this thread was touched. I'll air it out with my story...
Short version...I was a structural steel guy.
Two months back I went full time as a knifemaker. I was a structural steel fitter and welder for six years, and a off and on CNA for twelve. My wife and I are at the stage in our lives where we really don't have any luxury expenses, and I would definitely rather live my life in a simple way and not be tied to a job to pay for things I don't really need. Being around my kids on a daily basis is very important, there's some oilfield work just the next state over but I only get these years with them once. I'm going to be 30 this year, and I doubt that there will be a government retirement for me when my time comes around, so I'm planning on needing a fall back that I can do when I'm older. Figure that by the time I'm 60 I'll be good enough at this that it'll be a comfortable way to get by until I just can't anymore.
I give this 100 percent, just like everything else I've done. Since before Christmas last year I've been making them as fast as I can sell them, and with every step I take with marketing it just keeps growing. Pretty nice being able to reap all the fruit of my labor (aside from trying to expense my tax liability but that's a different story!) instead of working for someone and making them more per hour than I do. I recommend it, but you have to commit everything, heart and soul and be willing to adapt yourself.

I spent ten years in land surveying and loved it. The math is challenging. The next 30 years were spent doing finish carpentry and house building. I put 16 years in the martial arts, twelve of those as a teacher and yes it was definitely a profession. No money but a lot of hard work with great payoffs.
I starting forging knives in 1999 and have been full time in the shop ever since.

Life is good. :happy:

This is a great thread, it's great to know about people directly from them.
A lot of things get translated incorrect sometimes.
I've been a full time knife maker since 1981, no other job or source of income, including spouce.
This can make for a unique experience, when I first started making knives in 1979 there were not a huge amount of makers out there, and for a little while I thought I was the only one lol.
That changed with seeing some Field & Steam magazine story's on some makers, and then also the American Blade magazine which was hard to get back then because they were not a monthly like they are now.
My first real understanding of makers out there was the 1981 guild annual this was a eye opener to this field, and it showed a lot of different styles from all over the states.
Being a full time maker with knives as your only source of income, was a difficult thing in the early days, because everything was based on what you would sell at the next gun show or craft type show, there were not many shows back then. I started out making hunting knives and multi purpose knives, I did these types of knives for a very long time because they were the easiest to sell in my area, and also at the small group of shows that I went to. But having to do a large amount of knives to survive helped with getting better at making them. When I started my knives were $35 dollars for a carbon hunter, and $45 for a 440c blade, I did not sell a knife for over $100 for a very long time, back then even with a mirror polished 16 inch Bowie with full file work and sheath, with a stag handle at $75 you would get people say you want How Much ?! For that, and they would go and get a friend or two and show them, and say that is $75!! This had nothing to do with any problems with quality in the piece, it was just that people were not familiar with hand made knives as much back then. It's been a great experience over the years, but it can be very painful at time without something to fall back on.

Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained, and that is the creative thoughts and the unique personality that people put into there knives, this to me is what makes all knife makers artist.
So no matter how long one has been doing this, or what they did before, they are making knives now and sharing there thoughts and emotions with the world, through there art, and in the steel they mold into a piece of themselves to share with the world.
This wonderful world of knife making.
V

I've read all of the posts and I have to say that there is a lot of talent here, but the two men that impressed me the most were Randy and Gary. They both straightened their lives up and are both an example to the rest of us. You both have my respect.

An old saying that I like is "A man who loves his work, will never work a day in his life". It's true. I have been a self-employed professional goldsmith for 30+ years. I ran a one man retail studio and worked 24/7. Starting out, I worked up to 22 hrs. a day on more than a few occasions. I planned on my wife helping me, but she became disabled 20 years ago, so it has just been me taking care of the business. The first few years were a @@@@@, but I didn't notice as I really had a passion for jewelry. When I first started out, I made a couple of handles for store-bought blades, but I didn't consider myself a knife-maker. I am closing my retail studio at the end of June. Looking back, I feel like I have been on vacation for 30 years, in spite of all the paperwork, inventory control, etc. I still love making jewelry, but I am totally burnt out on the retail end of things. Making what OTHER people want really sucks the creativity out of a soul. That same passion I felt about jewelry, I now feel about knife-making. The creative juices are flowing again :).

I did try a profession that I ended up HATING after 5 years. I practiced law. I have kept my license, but have not looked back when I got the jewelry bug. I learned that life is not about how much money you have, it's how you value your self worth.

I feel the same passion about knives that I did about jewelry. But I am not going to make a "profession" out of it, as this will be just for my enjoyment. I am too old to learn all the tricks by experience, so I am attending Gil Hibben's class in August. I feel like a race horse, chomping at the bit to get started...

BTW, I have learned to Let God and everything will work---if you let it

I've been into knives since a little boy and recently started making my own (as a hobby). Started with files and recently got my first grinder to learn on (Craftsman 2x42). Still don't have much of a clue, but know a little more than I did when I was 12.

Back