yanmaodao (goose quill saber) - short sword

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,
This is the first sword blade I have completed since Ashokan, and though you won't see it, this blade is much lighter and more well-balanced than ones I made previously. I want to thank all of you wonderful people who let me wield/swing/gawk at your swords.

It is a 16.5" long saber, made on goose-quill dao pattern. This is the second time I have tried to make this pattern. I really am attracted to it, I like the shape for some reason.

The last one i made had too much curve at the tip and the handle curved downward. Those were mistakes. I now realize the handle is generally straight for these and the curve is supposed to only start at center of percussion and leave the blade straight enough that it can thrust well, but still be used like a saber.

It is 1.125" wide at forte, swells to 1.25" wide just before the false edge begins, and then curves to point.

Just at .23" thick, with a full convex grind with a significant amount of meat. This is meant to be "traditional" in shape, which means a pretty strong grind so that it can be used to batter people in armor as well as cut people without.

Blade weight = 13oz.

I am probably going to see if I can get someone to collaborate with me and make the fittings for this one. I am not sure I can do traditional dao fittings justice.

Hope you like. Comments are welcomed, as always.

(as a psych dude, I can't help but marvel on how much darker the pattern looks when backed by a white paper towel than a green pool felt. It really looks pretty vivid, the 1080 is high in manganese and very dark, the 15n20 is quite silverish. I etched this longer than usual).

take care,
kc IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

Wowee!! Kevin that is a real beauty , the pattern is eye dazzling!! If I wasn't working on 12-15 blades Including the naginata, I would help you . Have you thought of casting them ??? I have a chinese friend on one of the other sites who may give you a hand . I can talk to him if you want .?? ....... Bubba

Thanks, bubba. I think I may have an agreement with Charles Wu. I am either going to try and buy a few sets of basic hand made and engraved fittings from him, or see if he wants to really make a serious set for this blade. Either way, I plan to buy some basic ones. He and i have agreed to collaborate on the next dao I make (after this one). Maybe I can talk him into helping me some here, too. I am still looking for a definite collab, though, for this one. That is just one possibility. I am not sure whether his schedule will let him work on two with me, and I want him to work on the next one more than this one because the next one will be full-sized.

take care,
kc

Back