Wood stabilization question

Robert Erickson

KNIFE MAKER
I recently obtained some Cedar of Lebanon, Imbuya, and Bubinga boards. I wanted to see if it was advisable to stabilize them or are they good to go without? IIRC the Bubinga is OK but I'm not sure about the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say the Cedar of Lebanon is a definite yes. From what I was able to find the Imbuya is mid-range in hardness and weight so I would lean towards saying yes to it to. It seems that Bubinga is one of the more durable woods but it's not up there with the Rosewood family.

Doug

I agreed with Doug on the first two and I've had Bubinga stabilized and un stabilized and prefer it to be stabilized even though it doesn't add that much in weight to the wood, It adds water resistance durability to my kitchen cutters

I have my bubinga stabilized it just seems to work better for me. I do know people that work it unstabilized and add many coats of tru oil.

Thanks guys! I'm going to send it all to K&G. The Imbuya has some nice figure and the Bubinga is the waterfall type and I'm looking forward to finishing out a knife or two in them!

Back