Wood Stabilization Opinions?

scherar

I would have assumed that there was already a thread on this, but I can't find anything. I brought some Mesquite Wood back from a Texas pig hunt and want to try some on a knife.

I have been told before that not all woods need stabilization, such as really dense and/or oily woods. So what constitutes what needs it? I have heard some people say that it isn't needed. They like the natural feel of wood and not plasticized material. I have used stabilized wood on knives before and it has moved, so I would just like to hear the reasoning behind both.

If some argue that it isn't needed, then what needs to be done to the wood before/after attaching the handle?

I would not stabilize Mesquite but I would be sure that it's dried out. If it is fresh cut, that could take a couple of years. I would mount it on the tang and sand it out to about 800 grit then coat it with linseed oil until the wood stopped absorbing it then buff. Not only do some woods not need stabilization there are some that cannot be. However, there are some woods that really need to be stabilzed to be able to be used as knife handles. Stabilization will not elliminate all problems that some woods posess, such as checking, warping, and shrinking, but it will reduce the problems.

Doug Lester

Last edited:
Hi Walter,
Doug pretty much said it all ! I just wanted to say that stabilized woods are enhanced but by no means bullet proof, and all stabilized woods are not created equal. I am at the point where I put a final seal on stabilized woods with a couple coats of tung oil, after I started this my handles stay put with less movement. Also If you do not want the plastic look and feel stay away from the buffer and do a 600 or 1200 grit hand rubbed finish. I think the glossy finish would make anything look and feel like plastic, but that's just my half baked opinion! L.O.L.
Take care,
Clint

Mesquite does not need to be stabilized,but when I get some really nice mesquite burls I have them stabilized,it does stabilize well.
Stan

I have a large block thats stabilized and works really nice. I dont know of it any other way . I like most my handle material to be stabilized .

Just the difference in finishing characteristics is enough to make me want it stabilized. You get much more contrast and depth in the finished product when stabilized.

Fred

Back