Will this work?

blancefitz

I am in the process of making my first slipjoint. Surprisingly, I still have most of my hair left! My liners and bolsters are stainless. I was thinking instead of trying to solder them and since I don't have a spot welder, that I might drill a few holes through the liner where the bolsters go and then clamp them down and weld a little dot in each hole filling the hole and joining the two. I have a mig and tig welder. Has anyone tried this?

You could always pin them with a similar material. Just counterbore/ream the holes and peen some pins in place.
You might also try a little JB weld.

Doing as you discribed will likely leave you with some visible "pins" from the welding wire, but other than that, I would think it would work as well as long as you were careful.

Doing as you discribed will likely leave you with some visible "pins" from the welding wire, but other than that, I would think it would work as well as long as you were careful.

I heat my liners with the bolsters attached to red hot after welding. This makes the welds match the bolster material.

It might not work with welding wire. Probably won't.

I am sorry I wasn't clear enough about what I was thinking off. I was going to drill holes in the liners only and lay the bolsters on top and in position and clamp them. Then I was going to flip it over and weld up the hole in the liner and in doing so I would create a small weld to the back of the bolster and fill the hole in the liner at the same time. There would be no weld on the outer surface of the bolster. Anyway, as you can see from my other post I probably should have tried this, because I tried silver soldering them and had all kinds of problems. I finally pinned them and that was a test of patience as well. Sorry for the confusion.

Your post was what I was thinking from reading your first post - you might still have a discoloration on top due to the "hot spot" where it's welded. Don's comment about heating it all red hot after welding to even out the color makes a LOTS of sense - bet it would work just fine.

Ken H>

Well I am glad Don is trying to help me. He is to blame for all of this madness. I looked at his tutorials about 2 weeks ago on another knife site and all fo the photos of the beautiful folders he has made and I just had to try it myself. I already see how addicting this can be. I am thinking about this knife and possible ways to do things in my sleep! I am about to go and order Don's book and maybe I won't have so many questions for you guys.

Back