Who made this?

riverdive

Hi, I am a new collector & was wondering if anyone knows who may have made this knife?
The only marking is an H stamped into the rear of the sheath. It measures 9" long with a 3.875" blade.

Thanks, Tom

20140128_4.jpg20140128_6.jpg

riverdive

Without some sort of marking on the knife - it will all but be impossible to tell who made it. Unless someone recognizes the knife and knows the knife maker - it will probably not get identified. You are taking a long shot trying to figure this one out. Sorry.

The sheath has an "H" on it. It is possible that the sheath and the knife were not made by the same person. They may have been - it is impossible to tell. The "H" may be a sheath maker's mark. It may also be a series mark for that type of sheath. Heck - it could have been added by anyone year's later. Again, unless someone recognizes it - it will probably not get identified by being made by so-and-so.

Good luck in your search.

DeMo

Quality

Thanks Demo,

Can you give me any direction as how to know its quality? It has a great feel in the hand & fits the sheath like a glove.

Thanks again, Tom

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "quality".

From the pictures you posted it appears to be a hunting knife with a leather stacked handle, brass guard, stainless rear bolster. I cannot tell but it appears to be well used and the blade is probably some form of carbon steel. It appears to have some tarnish or rust on the blade, it is hard to tell. If the sheath fits that well it is probably made for the knife. All of those things are good.

Someone took some time and effort to make the knife. It appears to be of a nice quality.

Without a maker's mark - I would say it is a daily user and not a collector.

You just cannot definitely tell who made it. That is a big minus for its collectability.

DeMo

Back